Staff Homecoming king Jerry Pollard donates earnings back to K-Park

Emma Waller

Criminal justice teacher Jerry Pollard throws up his hands and cheers at the October 28 Homecoming pep rally, after the announcement that he had become the staff Homecoming king.

Elyssa Roman, Staff Reporter

Students cheered. Willy Wonka Oompa Loompas pranced. Mums mummed.

The K-Park homecoming pep rally was a procession of performances, a Red Wagon competition, the freshman lady and lord, sophomore duke and duchess, junior prince and princess, and various extracurricular activity beaus and sweethearts.

It all culminated in the announcement of the faculty Homecoming king and queen.

Jerry Pollard, criminal justice teacher, stood with the group of nominees for staff king and queen in the middle of the gym. Students rose and screamed his name as Coach Kyle Dray  announced that Pollard had won the competition for king.

Most students were unaware that Pollard was giving the money right back to K-Park.  

“I am donating my proceeds to Best Buddies and Cru,” said Pollard. “I am inspired by both organizations.”

Pollard loves how Best Buddies provides a special bond for individuals with special needs that society often times overlooks. If Pollard were a student at K-Park and was looking for an organization to join, he says his choice would be Best Buddies.

Pollard admires Cru for different reasons. He loves that the students can be bold enough to express their faith while spontaneously accepting other students’ different religions and views as well.

“Just watching the zeal and optimism the students of Cru show every Friday after school when meeting is inspirational,” said Pollard.

Giving his donations to both organizations means a lot to Pollard.

“I simply love what they do,” he said.