Round-up of annual homecoming competition winners and celebrations

Juniors+Audrey+Manning%2C+Katy+Majerus%2C+and+Kassidy+Luck+dressed+as+Oompa+Loompas+in+the+Red+Wagon+competition+on+October+28.+

Lisette Harris

Juniors Audrey Manning, Katy Majerus, and Kassidy Luck dressed as Oompa Loompas in the Red Wagon competition on October 28.

Scottlyn Robinson, Staff Reporter

As the K-Park homecoming pep rally got started, the bleachers were a blanket of forest green T-shirts. Students roared with cheers of K-Park and stomped their feet with excitement.

Bells and whistles on traditional mums and garters helped keep the beat of the drumline and orchestra members sat poised on the gym floor ready to play.

“I think this is the best mum turn out I’ve seen since I’ve been at K-Park, ” said senior Kyla Howard.

The annual pep rally, where the homecoming court is named and school groups compete for first place in the Red Wagon parade, is one of the highlights of the school year. This year’s was no different, with Panther Pride on full display.

Jouse Campuzano and Crystal Vargas were crowned as the ninth grade Lady and Lord, Tylan Johnson and Kat Posey as the sophomore Duke and Duchess, and Web Rossan and Emily Ausburn as the junior Prince and Princess.

The King and Queen for the senior class were announced at the homecoming game as Rodrigo Castillo and Moria Greff.

After the staff King and Queen nominees collected donations for different foundations, the winner was announced. The winners, Jerry Pollard, whose proceeds went to Best Buddies, and Jenny Vanhorn, whose proceeds went to this year’s senior class prom, jumped with excitement.

Best Buddies also pulled a win for their red wagon creativity, which included costumes of all the famous Willy Wonka characters such as Augustus Gloop, Willy himself, and Oompa Loompas, and homemade decorations of the various candies from the film.

“This year’s wagons were so creative and well thought out,” said senior Emily Margiolis.

The noise and celebration of the day never died down.

The Silver Stars and football player dance drew laughter and applause because of the contrast between the dancers’ and the football players’ dancing skills.

Sophomores held on to the spirit stick because they had the most spirit throughout the week by participating in the dress-up days of the week such as Twin Day and American Day.

By the time students linked arms to sing the alma mater, at the end of the 90-minute long pep rally, spirits were high.

“But none can ever take away the bonds we build at Kingwood Park.”