K-Park remembers school police officer PrinceElla Parnell

PrinceElla Parnell with her daughter.

Nick Farace, Staff Reporter

PrinceElla Parnell, described by those who knew her as a “loving and kind spirit,” was determined to become a police officer. She realized that dream three years ago when she joined the Humble ISD police department and was assigned to Kingwood Park High School.

But her dream was brief. On Jan. 10, Parnell died of complications from a rare heart disease. She was 24.

Parnell, a lifelong Kingwood resident, graduated from Atascocita High School in 2011 and became an officer for Humble ISD Police Department in 2013. She later married and had a daughter, Marcilla. During her pregnancy, Parnell developed a heart disease that required a heart transplant.

“If someone has to die for me to live,” Parnell told her mother while waiting for a heart donor, “I don’t want that to happen.”

Parnell would later decline a transplant and removed her name from the transplant list. Parnell’s family has been crushed by the loss, but finds hope and trust through their belief in God. Every day is a step toward a normal life again for the family, according to her mother.

“God has his angels and they were always with PrinceElla,” her mother Dion Trower said.

Humble ISD Officer Sandra Tyler, who worked with Parnell, said that she was a mentor to her co-workers.

“She taught me what doors to lock a night, how to make sure students stay on campus, how to fill out all the proper paperwork,” Tyler said. “PrinceElla never missed work and was always on time.”

Despite not having a teaching role at the school, Parnell set an example for those at K-Park to follow, according to Tyler.

“She truly was helpful to everyone and a great asset to this school,” she said

Parnell is survived by her 2-year old daughter, husband, father, mother and three sisters.