The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Lord Huron’s ‘Long Lost’ album is timeless

Lord Hurons Long Lost album was released in 2021.
Lord Huron’s “Long Lost” album was released in 2021.

Lord Huron’s fourth and most recent studio album Long Lost was released in May of 2021. Only days after its release, the album was met with widespread acclaim from music critics who praised its poetic lyricism, somber production and refined harmonies.

Lord Huron first came into the limelight after their first full length album Lonesome Dreams. Lonesome Dreams debuted at number five on Billboard’s Heatseekers Albums chart. Their popularity boomed after “The Night We Met ” was featured in 13 Reasons Why, Season 1. “The Night We Met ” was later reprised with Pheobe Bridgers for Season 2. The song grew on social media as many listeners shared their own love stories.

Lord Huron was created in 2010 by main vocalist Ben Schneider. Schneider grew up in Okemos, Mich., where he began to write music. After graduating from the University of Michigan he moved to Los Angeles where he created Lord Huron as a solo project. After a few EPs (extended plays), Schneider began adding band members so he could play live. The band’s name was inspired by Lake Huron, the lake which Schneider grew up visiting.

Long Lost flaunts expert lyricism and storytelling that truly set themselves apart from the rest, as a result the band has been touring around the world. Schneider creates masterful storylines that show humanity in its pure form.

For this album, the band took inspiration from ghost stories found near the Great Lakes. Each song describes new characters or ghosts who describe their “lives.” The songs narrate love, loss, and finding your place in the world. Lord Huron combines country, western, folk rock, rock and roll, and pop melodies that portray the stories of these characters. 

One of the more popular songs on the album, “I Lied” (featuring Allison Ponthier)  tells the heartaching story of a man and his wife. The man recounts his life with her. Saying that he tried to become a better man for her and that he loved her. He tells her, “I bore a flame that burned a thousand suns for you, but it died/Told you I could never love somebody else, but I lied.” As the deep cello transitions into a waning violin we hear another side of the story. This time we hear from his wife. She begins by telling her husband, “I read your letter in the morning by the lake, and I cried/ they were tears of joy, my chains are finally broken.” She continues by telling him that she herself lied. She never loved him though she said she did.

Lord Huron’s music is timeless. The charm that Long Lost exudes is something that no other artist could compare to.