The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

Wedding dance highlights summer

October 9, 2021

Junior+Meraa+Husainat+walks+down+the+aisle+with+family+members+during+her+brother%E2%80%99s+wedding+last+summer.+

Submitted by Meraa Husainat

Junior Meraa Husainat walks down the aisle with family members during her brother’s wedding last summer.

Junior Meraa Husainat celebrated her culture this summer during her brother’s wedding. The traditions that were incorporated in the wedding originated in Jordan, through Arabic culture. 

“Our weddings are not just like a reception… our dancing is different,” Husainat said. “It’s more enchanted.”

At the wedding, Husainat participated in an Arabic dance called dabke, which combines circle dance and line dancing.  Dabke is usually performed at weddings and other special occasions. The dance follows the beat of a fast-paced song. Usually, a man leads the dance; but, because it was her brother’s wedding, Husainat held the honor of leading. 

“I changed into a suit just like all of the guys,” Husainat said. “Because the girls wear ballgowns and big dresses, being able to change and dance was nice because I was the only girl doing it.” 

Husainat said celebrating her culture and incorporating it into her daily life makes her feel good. She is proud of where she comes from and she loves being able to share that with the people in her life. 

“I feel like it’s really unique,” Husainat said. “It’s different. It’s fun.”