Softball hopes playoff experience propels them to top

Junior+Bailey+Kee+stretches+with+her+teammates+in+the+dugout+before+a+practice+in+January.+

Allie Jorgensen

Junior Bailey Kee stretches with her teammates in the dugout before a practice in January.

Adriana Gonzalez, Special Contributor

Coming off a deep playoff run in 2022, the softball team looks to advance even further this year.

Senior Peyton Cote said last season’s team was confident going into the season and always had the right mindset. In the postseason, the team defeated A&M Consolidated, Bastrop and Brenham before falling to Santa Fe in the fourth round of the playoffs.

“We just went in with the right mindset and that got us far,” Cote said.

Cote has been on varsity since her freshman year and has played softball for 11 years. She is nervous to start her senior season, but is excited for what’s ahead for the team.

“Everyone is a great asset to the team and everyone has a job,” Cote said.

Coach Kelsie McEachern coached for over two years before taking over at Kingwood Park last season. McEachern said with new additions to the team this year, she expects the players to reach their goal of going further in the playoffs.

“Our goal is to bounce back and not to get too comfortable,” McEachern said. 

Her big focus is on making sure the girls are coachable, have a good attitude and always want to compete.

McEeachern entered both varsity and junior varsity teams into “Fall Ball” leagues, allowing them to play out-of-district schools in the fall. While coaches aren’t allowed to lead their team during Fall Ball, McEachern said it’s a great opportunity to see girls’ skills and passion for the game. 

“Even though it is not fun watching them from the stands, it gives me more time to think about the season coming up,” McEachern said. 

Sophomore Abbey Papadimitriou said she is excited to see what is ahead for a team that returned all but one starter from last year’s squad. 

“We’re definitely going to be stronger this year than last year,” Papadimitriou said. 

Papadimitriou said the team is focusing on improving communication on and off the field. She said hopes that – combined with all the returning and new talent – will help the team win its first district title. 

“Communication is the one improvement we need to have this year,” Papadimitriou said. “We just have to show what we are really made of.”