Meet the players behind the bats

Katie Gerbasich

The softball team is fighting for the top spot in the district standings as the second round of district play begins.

Adriana Gonzalez, Special Contributor

Abbey Papadimitriou, sophomore

Sophomore Abbey Papadimitriou looks to round first base after hitting the ball against Lufkin. (Katie Gerbasich)

Position: Shortstop

When did you start playing softball?

“I’ve played softball for almost 12 years. I started officially playing when I was 4, but I was around it from an even younger age because my mom was a coach.” 

Why have you stuck with it?

“I have stuck with softball because I’ve grown up to love the competitive nature of it and the people it has brought into my life. It’s something that allows me to take a break when things are stressful.”

What is your walk-up song and why?

“My walk up song is ‘Laugh Now Cry Later’ by Drake because I like the beat. Last year, my walk up song was ‘Barney’ because the seniors chose the freshmen’s songs, so I wasn’t really picky this year.”

If you weren’t playing softball, what other sport would you play? 

“If I wasn’t playing softball I would probably play basketball because I like how competitive it is. I also like it because it’s super intense.” 

What do you love about softball?

“I love how the game gives back to you when you put in hard work because it shows that if you are willing to work hard then success will come on its own. I also love the great memories and everlasting relationships it has brought to me.”

What one piece of your softball gear do you like the most and why?

“One piece of my softball gear that I like the most is my bat. I like it the most because I love to hit.”

Where is your go-to meal either before a game or after a game?

“My go-to meal before a game depends on what I can get and how hungry I am. Sometimes I’ll have Subway or Chick-fil-A or just eat a light snack.”

Taylor Crawford, junior

Junior Taylor Crawford grabs a ball and looks toward a base runner during a game against Atascocita early in the season. (Arleigh Doehring)

Position: Catcher

When did you start playing softball?

“5 years old.”

Why have you stuck with it?

“I’ve stuck with softball this long because it’s something that brings happiness to me. I can see myself growing constantly in this sport and I honestly don’t know what I would do without it.”

What is your walk-up song and why?

“I picked ‘New Level’ by A$AP Ferg, ft. Future. I picked this song because of the title ‘New Level.’ Coach Mac reminds us that this season is a new year, new us so the title reminds me of a new season.”

“If I wasn’t playing softball I would play volleyball. I played volleyball in middle school and loved it. It’s an indoor sport, so I wouldn’t get sunburnt or really hot.” 

What do you love about softball?

“I love that I play the position no one else wants. Catching is very mentally tough and can be draining. I love how I have to push myself to always be better.”

What one piece of your softball gear do you like the most?

“My catcher’s mitt. My mitt lasts the longest out of all my gear. It’s easy to get attached to my glove because I know it’ll take a lot for my glove to break whereas my other gear I know it’ll have to be replaced. I use my glove every game day and every practice.”

Where is your go-to meal either before a game or after a game and why?

“Before games I like to eat something light when we are away. We get sandwiches for a meal so I do the same thing when we are home. After the games my meal is definitely Cane’s.”

Peyton Cote, senior

Senior Peyton Cote prepares for a pitch against Kingwood in a scrimmage earlier this season. She is signed Oklahoma Wesleyan to play next year. (Maya Ortiz)

Position: Left field

When did you start playing softball?

“I’ve been playing since t-ball because I really enjoy it. And I’ve made some lifelong friendships from it.”

What is your walk-up song and why?

“’Superhero’ by Future because I want a song that will get me hype before I get up to bat. If I had a sad song I wouldn’t really be in my zone.”

“It is probably volleyball because it’s inside. I would get as tired as I am now.”

What do you love about softball?

“That I’ve made really good friends out of it. It just calms me sometimes.” 

“My glove only because I got it customized with my college colors. I think it fits really well with my drip.” 

“Scooby Snacks And Chick-fil-A. It’s just good. And every time I ate it in the past, we always won our game.”

Erika Savage, junior

Junior Erika Savage pitches against Lufkin on March 31. (Katie Gerbasich)

Position: Pitcher, 1st Base

When did you start playing softball?

“I have played softball since I was 9, so for about seven years.”

Why have you stuck with it?

“I’ve stuck with softball for so long because at a young age I fell in love the game and I began wanting to spend every weekend playing in tournaments. I couldn’t quit because I couldn’t imagine my life without it.”

What is your walk-up song and why?

“My walk up song is ‘A Lot’ by 21 Savage because I love the opening beat of the song.”

“If I didn’t play softball I would love to play volleyball or be a dancer because I really enjoyed cheer when I was younger. I also get told I look like I play volleyball, so I think those two sports would be fitting.”

What do you love about softball?

“I love the mental aspect of softball, which most people don’t. But when I am at practice, my mind doesn’t wander to the bad things that happened throughout the day. All I think about is what I need to correct or when our next water break is, allowing me to totally forget everything else that is going on and just focus on softball.”

“My favorite piece of equipment I have has to be my Easton bat. I’ve tried other brands, but have always gone back to an Easton bat just because of how well it swings.”

“My go-to meal before a game has been Chick-fil-A nuggets, fries and either a Dr Pepper or a Sprite. It used to be Subway, but I have been loving Chick-fil-A this year.”

Courtney Petrosino, junior

Junior Courtney Petrosino watches a ball pass in a game against Lufkin on March 31. (Katie Gerbasich)

Position: 2nd base

When did you start playing softball?

“I have played softball for about 11 years now.”

Why have you stuck with it?

“I’ve kept playing because it’s part of me over the years. It’s almost like my safe haven.”

What is your walk-up song and why?

“My walkup song is ‘Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1’ (by Kanye West) only because it was very last minute.”

“If I didn’t play softball I would probably play volleyball only because it was fun to play in middle school.”

What do you love about softball?

“I love the bonds throughout the sport and the satisfaction of hard work.”

“Favorite gear is my bat the Ghost Unlimited, because she is where I continue to give a love-hate relationship.” 

“Chick-fil-A is my go-to meal. It really depends on what I’m feeling, but it feels like a routine at this point.”