Maya Ortiz

Coach Kelsie McEachern signals a play to a runner at first base.

Kelsie McEachern, math teacher and coach

It was one of the last days of my freshman year and I knew I was meeting my new coach. Two years later, I didn’t know how much of an impact Coach McEachern would have on me as a student and an athlete. She was a new teacher and coach to the school my sophomore year, and was definitely someone I had to get to know, since I was going to have her for the rest of my high school career. 

Mac’s love for the sport started at a young age and grew.  She started out at Huffman Hargrave High School, where she played for the varsity softball team and continued to play in college at Texas Lutheran and the University of Texas at Tyler. From there, the passion only grew. She went on to coach at other high schools such as Karen’s City and Poth, before finally joining Kingwood Park. She has a passion for teaching and is a co-teacher for Nancy Doehring’s math classes

Coach McEachern always knows what to say in moments when it is needed. One day I was having trouble hitting, and I started to get into my head. The first thing she did was come up to me and say, “What do I need to do to help?” I began to talk to her about what I was thinking, and she helped me fix what was wrong. 

Mac has always wanted her players to succeed on the field, but, more importantly, in the classroom. She does this by having a study hall for her players. She has helped me and many other students with our homework to stay successful. One time I was having trouble with my algebra class and she offered to help. With her knowing my struggles, she knew she had to say it in a different way for me to understand. Soon enough, I did.

Two years after first meeting her and with one more year to go, I now know she will push me to my full potential on and off the field. 

KP TIMES • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to KP TIMES
$815
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All KP TIMES Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *