VanDolzer embraces Art Club leadership role

Junior+Peter+VanDolzer+talks+with+classmates+during+sixth+period+AP+Art+class.+
Ana La Rosa Grillo
Junior Peter VanDolzer talks with classmates during sixth period AP Art class.

Becoming Art Club president for junior Peter VanDolzer has been mostly stress-free, but occasionally included tough decision making. At the end of his sophomore year, VanDolzer was in the art club himself and was voted amongst his peers to be the Art Club president for the following school year.

“Everyone voted for me to be president so everyone obviously thought I was very fit for the role,” VanDolzer said. “I remember being super surprised when I ended up getting chosen.”

VanDolzer tries his best to remember everyone’s names and to stay positive no matter what. In addition to attempting to remember all of the Art Club members’ names, he makes an effort to be friendly to everyone and wants everyone to like him.

His other responsibilities are to run and plan meetings, attend events, help recruit new Art Club members, and make decisions as a whole. Although decision making may be difficult for VanDolzer and he has a fear of doing the wrong thing, he has to reassure himself that Art Club sponsor Emily Herrin is very laidback.

“Mrs. Herrin is organized and very chill,” VanDolzer said. “She’s not high-stress at all and if we have to make a big choice it’s not scary.”

In Art Club meetings, VanDolzer and the members engage with each other by playing games and socializing and they also practice face painting, which is what they frequently do at events for school like carnivals and fine art festivals.

“I like volunteering at events because it makes me feel like I really did something,” VanDolzer said.

In general, VanDolzer says he would be up to being Art Club president again because of the memories he made and the new friends along the way.