Humans of KPARK: Davion Sanford

The latest Humans of KPARK episode features senior Davion Sanford. Host Kayvion Enlow talks with Davion about how he started basketball and why he loves the game. 

Q: How long have you been playing basketball?

A: I’ve been playing basketball since I was in fourth grade.

Q: What position do you play?

A: For school, I play the 4 l. But when I leave next year to go to college, I’m playing the 2.

Q: So, like, you’re really interested in that? 

A: Yes.

Q: How did you first get started?

A: I really just followed behind my pops. I mean, he hoops. I just wanted to hoop too.

Q: So, like, you just want to follow behind him like you wouldn’t not a real true hooper?

A: That is not that. I saw basketball is easy, he hoops. So I just wanted to hoop like him.

Q: How does this high school program compare, your previous experiences?

A: Well, when I was at my prep school, like, before I got here, the competition was way harder. Over here, it’s really easy. I was at a prep school, and it was like a sports school.

Q: So why would you come here?

A: Because my mom didn’t feel like taking the 40-minute drive. And at that time I wasn’t driving.

Q: What do you see as the team strengths this year?

A: I say defense.

Q: What are some weaknesses your team needs to work on?

A: Well, we need to work on people acting like they just way better than everyone else. They have to stop being too egotistical. We’re not getting anywhere with that.

Q: How did you become a team leader?

A Well, for me, like, I’m like, I’m very vocal, and I just talk a lot. I got, like, a relationship with, like, everybody on a team, even, like, even JV. I got some form of relationship with, like, everybody on the team. I talk to everyone.

Q: What do you feel? This team needs to be successful this year?

A . We need more, like, more leaders, I’m not going to lie. Varsity-wise, it seems like it’s just me. I’m always talking, being loud. I’m the only voice you hear on the court. You hear nobody else.

Q: How is the coach motivated you and inspired the team to work hard this year?

A Since this is my senior year, it’s really just like the words he puts in my head that makes me want to go harder. Coach Kaspar is like a mentor to me. It’s just easy. I can talk to him about anything and he can talk to me about anything, so he just makes me go way harder. He’s cool.

Q: What should fans  expect this season at your games.

A:  Like last year was like a wake up call for me. I’m not going to lie. I had a bad year last year. I’ won’t say bad, but I really wasn’t consistent last year. But this year, like lately I have been killing it.

Q: What college do you have interest in?

A: I want to play at like Prairie View or I want to play at HBCU. I want to stay with my people. But now, I only got like two offers from Arlington Baptist and HCU, so I don’t want to say I don’t want to go to them, but I do want to go to an HBCU.

Q: So are you trying to be a walk on, or are you trying to go for a scholarship?

A: If I have to, but I got two full rides right now and I haven’t even played my first senior game yet.