Classic movie with Keanu Reeves gives glimpse of true samurai

Movie poster for 47 Ronin.
Movie poster for “47 Ronin.”

“47 Ronin” is a movie that’s about 47 loyal samurai from the province of Ako that want to avenge the death of their lord. A warrior named Oishi achieves this with the help of his fellow comrades and a half-blood named Kai. This was one of the most dramatic episodes of Japanese history and their story continues to live on for many generations.

The cast of the movie play their roles with utmost perfection, making sure that their personalities fit the time period it was put in. The most recognizable of the cast is Keanu Reeves, playing as a mixed-blood warrior raised by tengu, and Hiroyuki Sanada, playing as one of the 47 ronin, that did a splendid job playing their part in the movie. The cast made this movie more alive and enjoyable to watch. They are the reason I wanted to watch it over and over again. 

The history behind it is somewhat true, aside from the mythical beast that roams around, because of the intent of the movie. The movie showcases a story of 47 samurai that want to exact vengeance for their lord and in doing so leads them to a warrior’s death by suicide for defying the shogun’s orders. Their story has been heard by many in Japan as one of the greatest acts of loyalty and honor, showing the prowess of a true samurai.

To conclude, the movie is worth watching for those who enjoy action movies. It’s filled with wondrous creatures, beings, and incredible displays of unrelenting honor and perseverance. I enjoyed this movie so much because it showed an incredible display of honor that has made me obsessed with swordsman lately. None have shown as much honor, loyalty, persistence and sacrifice as the 47 ronin had, making their story a great symbolization of a true samurai.