Five tips for enjoying the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Country music singer Walker Hayes performs at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in 2023. Photo submitted by Maya Ortiz.

The Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo is the largest rodeo in the world. Every year, millions of people around the world travel to Houston to see the biggest animals, musicians and boots. After all, everything is bigger in Texas.

The Houston Rodeo can be daunting for people attending for the first time. Here are 5 tips from 2024 Humble livestock auction winners. 

Tip #1: Wear the right attire

Cowboy hats, jeans and boots are heavily associated with the Rodeo. Though FFA students caution that people should consider how strenuous the Rodeo can be before they wear this western apparel. 

“Don’t wear boots. I do think a lot of people wear boots but they get so uncomfortable,” senior Anne Marie Sokol said. “You are going to be walking for more hours than you expect.”

Others believe if they are going to dress the part, they should do so properly. 

“What frustrates me is when people wear jeans that don’t fit around their boots, or aren’t long enough. Just make sure that your jeans fit,” said junior Jackson Talley.

Talley also wants attendees to be aware that the hat they wear matters, “If you’re gonna wear a cowboy hat, just make sure you wear the right cowboy hat for the season.”

Tip #2: Go at the right time/day

Everyday at the Houston Rodeo is a new and unique experience. There are different shows, concerts, carnival games and more. Choosing a day that’s right for you is very important.

“[What day you go]  just depends on your performers. But if we’re just talking about the day I like: Friday, Saturday. You don’t have to worry about stuff the next day,” said Talley.

But because weekends get busy, Sokol suggests avoiding those days. “I always think that a random Wednesday is best.”

Tip #3: See the right events

If you are going to the Rodeo for only a few hours, time management is key to ensuring you have the best time possible. You need to know what exhibits and attractions are available that day, at what time, and where. 

There is a visitors guide on the Houston Rodeo website that describes all available events. It also has a detailed map to help you navigate across the huge lot. Looking through the guide and noting some things you are interested in beforehand can help you maximize your experience at the Rodeo.

Some of the most popular events are mutton busting, chodogging, the petting zoo, and the rollercoasters.

Sokol said, “[I think everyone should see] the Rodeo portion, at least center to the rodeo portion of the whole thing because most people just show up for the concert but they’re not there for the bareback riding or the calf tie down. I think that’s a must, you have to go see the rodeo portion of it.”

There is also a bull riding competition that sophomore Brayan Skero enjoys watching. “I like seeing people ride them but also get bucked off,” he said.

Talley said that you should, “go on a carnival ride. It’s just like a rite of passage. Like you just have to do at least once; even though they’re a little sketchy sometimes.

Tip #4: Get the best bang for your buck

You can’t go to the rodeo without getting a snack, and with so many options it’s easy to get overwhelmed. 

The number one go-to for Rodeo food is the turkey leg. “You get a lot of meat [on the turkey leg] and it’s very tender and juicy. It’s just right,” said Sokol.

Deep fried food is also a huge part of the culinary experience at the Rodeo. They offer almost everything deep-fried from conventional foods to less conventional, like oreos, cookie dough, lasagna rolls, BLTs, and even bread pudding. 

And if you’re not in the mood for any of those, the rodeo offers hundreds of different foods and snacks. There is always something available for anyone.

“I’ve always had good tacos [at The Rodeo]. They have pretty much everything,” said Talley.

Tip #5: Have fun

No matter what you do at The Rodeo, the most important thing is to have fun! The Rodeo is full of opportunities to create lifelong memories while celebrating the Houston community. 

“My favorite memory is when we had an exchange student, my sixth grade year,” Sokol said. “I do not like heights and her and my sister convinced me that we were not going up high on a roller coaster. We indeed did go up high. I will never go on it again,” said Sokol.

“Prepare yourself for chaos,” Skero said. “There’s going to be like 20,000 people there minimum and just make sure you’re looking forward whenever you’re walking.”