The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Egg babies become focus in child development class

Jacob Valcarce
Junior Beste Kaya holds her egg baby in a carrier for the project in her child development class.

The child development classes participated in their annual egg baby project during the final week of March. Each student had to take care of at least one “egg baby” for the four-day project. They had to keep it safe, and not drop it. Keeping the egg safe would earn you a 100. Some students would buy creative things for their “baby” to keep it safe like actual baby products like a carrier.

“I was at Walmart, and I was just walking around; getting my prescription, ” junior Beste Kaya. “And then I just saw it sitting in a random jewelry section.”

Kaya instantly knew she had to get it for her egg “Omeletta.” The egg’s a little too small, but it fits and it works well. Kaya also got different items to keep it leveled and not roll away.

“I got these Easter springs, and I put it inside to keep it stable so she doesn’t slide off or roll away,” Kaya said.

Students also got to pick different names for the eggs as if they were their own as well as put faces and designs on them. An example of this being the name “Sunny,” like sunny side up eggs. The names can be one of the most challenging parts because of all the creativity that goes into it.

“I literally just put a smile on it,” junior Rebecca King said. “And lines for eyes and a bow.”

The students also have to keep it alive. Cushioning is a popular method, but also some are very careful about who can hold it, as well as other tricks.

“When it’s home, it’s in the fridge so it doesn’t go bad,” King said. “When I’m at school, I’m literally holding it the entire time. And if I’m in class, it’s right in front of me.”

While students are given a cup to put it in, some found putting the egg in other containers such as the carrier is helpful. The point of the project is to not crack it.

“I would recommend to pre-prepare by getting something to carry it,” King said. “So like a basket or just something to hold it so you can put it on your arm when you’re walking, and text, and you don’t have to worry about dropping it.”