Life as a dual-athlete student

Tori Gatling

KPARK against Cleveland, Purcell #23 takes the ball.

Caleb Dove, Staff Reporter

Between the massive piles of homework, multiple practices in a single day, and the regular stress of being in high school, life as a dual student-athlete in high school is far from easy.

Senior Zach Purcell is just one example. Purcell has managed himself as well as anyone and left his mark on the basketball and football programs over the last four years.

Purcell first started playing sports when he joined baseball at the age of 5. He didn’t get his start in football until seventh grade.

Now in his senior year, Purcell has become a star on the football and basketball teams. This past season, Purcell was the team’s starting quarterback in his third year on varsity.

On the basketball court, he is a team captain with four years of varsity experience, which is something that very few players can claim to have done.

Basketball coach Justin Burleson has known Purcell since he was in middle school.

“You talk to him and tell him congrats for getting a scholarship and he just puts it on his teammates,” Burleson said.

Purcell recently accepted an offer to play football at Midwestern State University.

“Several things played into my decision, but the two biggest factors were that I fit really well into the football program and that the college of business was really impressive,” he said. “It was a huge relief to finally know where I will be playing football next year. I’m really excited for what Midwestern State can offer me for both football and business.”