Five wrestlers advance to Regionals

Jayme Wilkey

Junior Maddie Sandquist heads to Regionals in hopes of earning her third trip to the state championships. Sandquist earned her 100th victory this season.

Crosslin Silcott, Features Editor

Sophomore Gabby Norman began wrestling as a freshman. Inspired by her dad who wrestled in high school, she said it’s pretty special that they share the same sport. Norman was one of 26 wrestling team members who competed at the District tournament on February 5th at Waller High school. Norman and 4 others advanced to Regionals along with three alternates.
“I’m excited for an opportunity to go head-to-head with some tough competition and hopefully show that I am someone they should be looking out for,” Norman said.
The team faced tough competition at the district tournament and racked up many medals.
For varsity girls, Maddie Sandquist placed 1st in the 138 lb. class, Lexi Shannon placed 2nd in the 185s, Gabby Norman placed 3rd in the 215s, Avery Blackler placed 4th in the 95s. They each advanced to the Region Meet. Jackie Sandquist placed 5th in the 148s.
The boys had one Region qualifier in senior Sean Dietrich, who placed 3rd at 285 lbs. Anthony Smith placed 5th in the 138s and Alex Gonzales placed 5th in the 120s to miss advancing by just one spot.
“We are very proud of the season our wrestlers have had,” coach Sam Knight said. “They have improved every week and we look forward to Regionals and State.”
The Regional Tournament will be held on Feb. 14-15 at Pflugerville Weiss High School, and the State Championships will be held at the Berry Center in Cypress on Feb. 21-22.
“Wrestling is a very exciting sport and we encourage students to give it a try next year,” said Knight.