Drabing encourages hope as uncertainty looms for many

Kathleen Ortiz

The Kingwood Park parking lots sits empty as the school remains closed because of coronavirus. Teachers are creating distance learning lessons for students who are encouraged to stay at home until the government says it is safe for people to gather again.

Kathleen Ortiz, Photography Editor

Principal Lisa Drabing spent much of the last few days on the phone or video chatting, as all students and teachers in Humble ISD were directed to stay home due to the coronavirus. Between the seemingly constant changes regarding spring sports, AP testing and senior end-of-the-year activities, Drabing worked to make sure everyone stayed well-informed. 

“Things are very fluid right now and change almost hourly,” Drabing said.

The messages aren’t particularly easy to relay or hear during this time. Both the boys and girls soccer teams are undefeated in their district and expected to make deep runs in the playoffs. However, UIL suspended all athletic and academic competitions until at least May 4 — nearly a month after the soccer state tournament was originally scheduled to take place.

UIL did not cancel any events yet, but the future is uncertain.

It is heartbreaking. I know the amount of time and effort our teams have put in to make a run at a state title and my heart goes out to them. I am hoping we can still make that run!

— Lisa Drabing, principal

It is heartbreaking,” Drabing said. “I know the amount of time and effort our teams have put in to make a run at a state title and my heart goes out to them. I am hoping we can still make that run!”

All of the senior events — including senior picnic, prom and graduation — remain unchanged at the moment, but there is concern that they will not be able to go on as planned.

“We love our seniors and know this is a time of uncertainty for them,” Drabing said. “We ask that they stay positive and trust that it will all work out.”

For now, the focus is on finishing the third nine weeks. It has been extended until March 27 in order for teachers to give opportunities to students who may be missing work or students in need of reassessments. It also gives teachers ample time to finalize grades and adjust to “distance learning.” 

Almost all communication, grades and assignments are going through Schoology, which the school implemented campus-wide more than a year ago. Drabing is grateful that the school has been using the online platform for several years now. 

“Teachers and students are familiar with the format and as a result have been able to provide those learning opportunities seamlessly,” Drabing said. “I am grateful for the work we have put in over the course of the last few years so that we are now in the best possible position we can be in under the circumstances.”

Drabing urges everyone to show kindness, compassion and patience during this unprecedented time. She’ll continue to check in with the staff daily and teachers have been doing well-checks with their students as well.

I truly believe everyone is doing their very best right now in these difficult and challenging times,” Drabing said. “Please take care and we hope to see everyone soon.”