AP teachers, students adjust to new test prep plans

Maria Landy Garcia

With distance learning happening across the nation, the College Board made adjustments to its Advanced Placement tests.

Sara Geiger, Editor-in-Chief

In light of the nationwide school closures, College Board notified teachers, parents and students on Mar. 20 that all Advanced Placements tests will be moved online. Each test will cover all lessons and materials that should have been taught in class by March, when schools initially began to close. They will only have free-response questions to prevent cheating, and all tests will be 45 minutes long. Students will be able to choose from two exam dates for each subject’s test.

“I think College Board has shown a remarkable effort,” said campus testing coordinator, Sarah Olesen. “Providing the flexibility for students to test at home during this time really highlights their desire to protect students’ best interests.”

Kingwood Park students are signed up to take 877 AP tests this year, according to Olesen. It is down from last year’s total of 1,032 because Physics 1 and Statistics moved to OnRamps.

While this situation is not ideal, AP teachers are doing what they can to make sure their students are keeping up with their work so they will be prepared for the test. Most of all, they are grateful students have the opportunity to earn credit for their hard work over the school year. 

“I would encourage all students that have registered for the exam to give it their all,” said AP Spanish teacher José Sánchez. “It would be a shame to lose out on the opportunity to earn college credit.” 

College Board is offering free online review materials and videos taught by AP teachers across America. They are available for all students enrolled in Advanced Placement classes starting Wednesday Mar. 25 and can be found on the College Board website and YouTube channel.