Orchestra finishes prep for upcoming competition

Sadie Lewis

Finn Carson, 11, practices with the chamber orchestra during 6th period. The students have been preparing for the upcoming UIL competition on April 1.

Veronica Gonzalez, Staff Writer

UIL competition is fast approaching for orchestra. Their UIL contest is on April 1 and Kingwood Park will be hosting. 

A lot of hard work and dedication has been put into making this year’s UIL a special one. It has been a challenge for the orchestra program to prepare for UIL, especially since there are limitations because of COVID-19. 

“It is a challenge to prepare an ensemble with only a portion of the group,” orchestra teacher Josh Taylor said. “We’re working hard and I’m confident they will do well.”

Throughout the years there have always been a set of challenges to overcome and this year’s challenges have been extremely difficult for the orchestra to adapt to. 

“The lack of togetherness is incredibly challenging for all the performing arts,” Taylor said. “Being spread apart is difficult for string players who are used to playing close together in a group. It affects your confidence.”

There have been many fun events in the orchestra classroom that Taylor has hosted just to bring out the smiles and laughter however. 

“Being forced to do things differently has given me a chance to truly evaluate what I do in the classroom and how to improve,” Taylor said. “I have loved being able to share so much more music theory and history with the students. I have really enjoyed seeing students step up and make the most of this year.”  

Taylor is in his seventh year of teaching orchestra at Kingwood Park. 

“(My favorite thing about teaching is) the students,” he said. “Those in orchestra are mostly quirky, intelligent, driven and funny. I enjoy the jokes and laughter. I wholeheartedly believe that when you can laugh together you can play together more beautifully.”