Strong performances lead cast into bi-districts

Seniors+Sarah+Cutrer+and+Elyse+McVey+share+a+scene+in+Life+with+Iris+in+November.+Both+seniors+are+performing+in+the+UIL+One-Act+Play+and+hope+to+advance+past+bi-districts+on+March+25.+

Kennedy Watkins

Seniors Sarah Cutrer and Elyse McVey share a scene in “Life with Iris” in November. Both seniors are performing in the UIL One-Act Play and hope to advance past bi-districts on March 25.

Shelby Townsend, Staff Writer

Awards at theater competitions are a highlight for many students. Everyone dresses up in formal clothing and screams and yells when someone in their company wins an award. For the company at Kingwood Park, awards ceremonies are particularly sweet. 

“I was really nervous because you never know what’s going to happen and who is going to win what,” junior Abby Hunt said. 

On March 5, the UIL cast and crew performed “The Girl in the White Pinafore” in the first round of UIL One-Act Play competition. The group collected quite a few awards that night, including honorable mentions to sophomore Taylor Mattingly and junior Cece Gonzalez. Seniors Paige Heyl and Michael Kell won All-Star cast awards. Junior Cameron Williams and senior Elyse McVey earned Best Performers awards. 

“It felt really great, really exciting, and like I earned it,” Heyl said. 

The actors weren’t the only ones running up on stage for success. Hunt won Best Technician, along with winning Best Crew with her gaggle of techies. 

The second-round was March 12. At the district competition freshman Olivia Brenner was awarded Best Technician. For the second competition in a row, Mattingly, Heyl, and McVey took home the same awards they won at the zone competition. 

“I honestly didn’t think I would win [Best Performer],” McVey said, “but once I did,

couldn’t stop shaking and crying, and I was just so grateful and shocked.”

The UIL company advanced to Bi-Districts, which take place today at Kingwood Park.