Sex education should be required in schools

Ryder Lowery

Ryder Lowery writes about how sex education should be required in schools.

Ryder Lowery, Staff Writer

Only 24 out of 50 states in America mandate that students learn sex education. This could lead to obstacles later in life, so sex education should be taken more seriously in school environments.
High schools have courses like biology and other life sciences; but learning about the inner workings of other living things won’t help them in life rather than learning of their own. Sex ed would teach teenagers to make wise and safe decisions in their sexual and everyday lives. If all teenagers were taught the truth about teen pregnancy and planned parenthood in general, they would have a stronger grasp on reality and how to guide themselves through it.
Students in sex ed classes are taught the history and truth on sexually transmitted diseases. Students who aren’t educated properly develop hysteria and misinformation on STDs. A study on HIV and STD prevention stated that teenagers and young adults are the age group with the highest STI rate. If students are not taught how to be sexually safe, how can we guarantee they will be later in life?
Columbia University issued a study on how sex education could prevent sexual assault and other forms of harassment in college. It states that students who were given refusal skills training in high school were more capable in defending themselves during sexual misconduct.
In a statistic on American high schools, 14% of middle schools and 38% of high schools have a sex ed course. Students should be taught the facts and truth about sex, and all of the consequences it could have. Research by the Texas Department of State Health Services said that Harris County has the highest STD rate in the state of Texas, a state that does not have a mandatory sex ed course in its schools.
Some may think that students aren’t mature enough, or even mentally prepared for sexual education. But sex ed would make those same students safe and ready for their post secondary lives. It won’t matter if the students make jokes when they’re uncomfortable, it matters that they will absorb the information taught to them so they can stay safe.
To bring this problem to an end, schools should make a more flexible schedule for students along with different levels of sex ed classes. Starting the classes early would be better, to prevent students from being swarmed by more classes. Parents could choose to have a more in depth level class for their student if they see it necessary.
Sexual Education does not encourage minors to sexually misbehave, it enforces safety in students’ future sexual lives.