Rock On

School of Rock offers creative outlet for musicians.

Kennedy Watkins

Junior Caydence Perez performs for School of Rock event at 3rd Floor Cantina. Perez is the lead singer for School of Rock’s hallmark music program.

Kennedy Watkins, Staff Writer

When junior Caydence Perez walked on the stage of the 3rd Floor Cantina in Bryan, Texas, her smile grew as she saw the crowd cheering with excitement. Parents, friends, and customers crowded the dance floor to watch as Perez joined her bandmates from School of Rock on stage to play songs and have fun.

“I love performing ‘Long Train Running’ by The Doobie Brothers because of the harmonica solo that one of the girls in our group does and it’s really fun,” Perez said. “I know no one expects it because she just pulls it out of her pocket and starts to play.”

I love performing ‘Long Train Running’ by The Doobie Brothers because of the harmonica solo that one of the girls in our group does and it’s really fun. I know no one expects it because she just pulls it out of her pocket and starts to play.

— Cadence Perez, junior

School of Rock is a program that offers lessons and performing opportunities for kids. Multiple instruments are taught and the kids form bands, which perform at all kinds of venues and fundraisers around Kingwood, Humble and even in Bryan. 

“It’s really fun being in front of the crowd and performing live,” said freshman Mackenzie Wilkey, who is involved in theater at school and is a drummer at School of Rock. “I had never performed live before, so it was a really nice feeling.”

Both Wilkey and Perez really enjoy performing for everyone and said the band gets along amazing and are very forgiving and nice to each other. 

“They’re all very constructive,” Wilkey said. “They never make you feel bad even if you mess up.” 

Perez is the lead singer of the Kingwood School of Rock band and is also involved in choir at school. She has been singing since she was little. Her schedule now includes band practice on Mondays, vocal lessons on Thursdays, and lessons for Arena Rock, a small group that is a part of School Of Rock on Fridays.  

“Choir focuses more on vocals and School of Rock focuses more on instruments and vocals, and also we get to perform in so many different places,” Perez said.

Wilkey and her family have always enjoyed listening to rock music together and she said she has always loved it. She has also been going to concerts since she was little. Some of her favorite concerts have been Cage The Elephant, Green Day and Foo Fighters. 

“We just had a drum kit that my dad had bought a long time ago that no one was using,” Wilkey said. “So I decided to put it to use and we chose School of Rock to learn because they are truly the best.”

Perez hopes to pick up guitar soon and start learning more about it. At School of Rock they teach kids how to perform for others and grow as individuals and learn guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboard and vocals. 

“I want to get better and better in music, and I practice not only with the group but also at home,” Perez said. “It takes a while just to make sure everyones comfortable with their songs.”

Perez and Wilkey hope to progress in and find a future with music. The environment and the teaching of School Of Rock helped them both grow in music and friendships. They said they have had experiences they will never forget.

“I have a really good relationship with the people at School of Rock,” Perez said. “And I have had a lot of fun performing for everyone.”