How well do you know scary movies?

Garrison Moritz, Staff Writer

In the long history of scary movies, a few have left a bigger impression – or fight – than others. See how many of the best scary movies you’ve seen on this Top 10 list, then test your scary movie knowledge in the test.

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released on Oct. 1st, 1974, and is arguably the best horror movie ever released. After hearing that her grandfather’s grave may have been vandalized, Sally, her brother, and her friends drive into rural Texas. However, upon stumbling into a house full of bone furniture, they are slowly picked off by a deranged cannibal family.

How well do you know your scary movies?

image

There was an error. Please try again.

15 Total Questions

2.  Halloween: In 1978, the world was introduced to the most famous horror character of all time in this classic slasher movie. In 1963, a 6-year-old Michael Myers kills his 17-year-old sister Judith, and is locked away for 15 years. But on a cold Halloween night in 1978, he escapes and heads back to his home of Haddonfield, Illinois, to find his next victims.
  3. Nightmare on Elm Street: In Wes Craven’s classic 1984 slasher, a midnight mangled known as Freddy Krueger hunts down kids in their dreams. In order to solve the mystery, Nancy and her boyfriend Gary must figure out what their parents are hiding from them, so they can defeat the dream demon.
  4. Friday the 13th: One of the big three horror franchises, the first Friday the 13th was released in 1980 and set the precedent for most horror movies of that time. We follow a group of camp counselors at Camp Crystal Lake as they are slowly killed by a mysterious killer, until only one counselor is left, who fights back against the killer.
  5. Scream: In 1996, Scream was released and started a renaissance of horror movies. We follow Sidney Prescott and her group of friends as they try to figure out who the maniac who’s been killing their classmates is. But after Sidney starts receiving strange messages and phone calls, it becomes clear the killer’s next target is Sidney.
  6. The Thing: Released in 1982, The Thing follows a group of scientists in Antarctica as they find an alien frozen in ice and bring it back to the station. But after the alien escapes and starts to take form of whatever creature or person it kills, the rest of the group must band together to stop the alien from escaping.
  7. Alien: A sci-fi horror classic, Alien follows the crew of a commercial spaceship who answer a distress call on another ship, but when they board the other ship, all they find is eggs of an alien species. When  an alien attaches itself to a member of the crew, they are forced to leave the ship, but what they don’t know is they brought an alien along with them.
  8. The Silence of the Lambs: Released in 1991, Silence of the Lambs is an unforgettable classic. We follow Clarice Starling, an FBI student, as she is tasked with interviewing Dr. Hannibal Lector, a brilliant psychiatrist who is also a violent psychopath, who is locked away for murder and cannibalism.
  9. Saw: An early 2000’s horror classic was released in 2004. Saw follows two men in a room as they try to escape a sick game, which they are put into by serial killer John Kramer (who is also known as Jigsaw) as he is being hunted by the FBI.
  10. Child’s Play: A 1988 cult classic, Child’s Play focuses on a notorious serial killer who transfers his soul into a doll. We follow the family who is tormented by him after the mom buys the doll.