Meet the boys golf team

Derriq Young

Senior Jayden Romig is in his backswing while he hits a iron shot of the practice range during practice on Jan. 19.

James Pham and Madlynn Morris

On the first day of the District Championships, the boys golf A team is in first place with a combined total of 325. The boys golf B team is just four strokes behind them at 329. The final round of play will be Thursday. Meet some of the golfers in action this week.

Jaydon Romig, senior

What is your favorite course?

Jayden Romig (Madlynn Morris)

“Probably The Forest Course at Kingwood. I just like forest a lot. I started playing golf there with my friends, and I just started playing more there.”

What is your warmup routine? 

“I don’t do anything crazy. I just go out there and hit a couple balls. If they go straight, I just go straight to the putting green from there.”

What do you like to eat or snack on during the tournaments? 

“Uncrustables. They’re goated. And after that, I like pretzels.”

What’s your favorite breakfast from Whataburger?

“I like a chicken biscuit, but they have that like weird sauce on it and I don’t really like that sauce. So I just get it dry. But most of the time I just go to Chick-fil-A.”

What do you do to prepare for the tournament the night before? 

“We go to the range as a team, and just work on the things that we need to work on. Most of the time we go over to someone’s house and spend the night. It’s easier to get to the tournament.”

Who’s favorite professional player? 

“Justin Tomas. Best swing. Best personality.”

Kasen Ferguson, junior

How did you get started in playing golf?

Kasen Ferguson (Madlynn Morris)

“Well I always grew up around it. My dad always wanted me to play when I was younger, but I was never really into it until like 8th grade. Like at the end of 8th grade, I was like, ‘Oh, I could play this in high school.’ And that’s why I started playing it.”

What’s your favorite course?

“Kingwood Country Club, that’s the best one. It’s peaceful and it’s a good course. It’s a fun layout to play compared to other courses. Good quality.”

Describe your warmup routine.

“I usually start off by hitting on the range for like 30 minutes. I work on like pitch shots and then long irons. Eventually I move to driver and then I go to the putting green for 30 minutes. There, I work on my putting stroke and chipping.”

“Protein bars and like granola bars like that stuff. That’s good for the tournaments.” 

“Definitely the cinnamon rolls with a side of eggs.”

What do you do to prepare for tournaments the night before?

“I clean my clubs, mark all my golf balls, make sure I have everything in my car and then layout my stuff so iIm ready to go.”

What’s your tag on your golf balls?

“I just put a red dot.”

Who’s your favorite professional player?

“I would probably say Justin Thomas because he’s one of the more like down-to-earth players on the tour. He relatable to a lot of people with how he plays golf.”

Seth Ferguson, freshman

What’s your favorite club?

Seth Ferguson (James Pham)

“My favorite golf club [is] probably my 60 degree.”

What is your favorite course?

“My favorite course has to be TPC Sawgrass. It’s a really nice course in Scottsdale, it’s super nice.”

What is your warmup routine? 

“So I try and hit five balls with each club, that’s my goal and then I just sat on the putting green for a while. I mainly like to putt before rounds. Warming up doesn’t really help me.

“Motts. Our coach always has Motts and I always snack on those.” 

“I always get a cinnamon roll with a side of eggs.” 

“I clean my clubs and we always go to the range, like as a team, before and we always hit balls before.” 

Who’s favorite professional player? 

“My favorite professional player is Jordan Spieth. Ever since I was a little kid, like in 4th grade, I dressed up as him for Halloween. I’ve always kind of watched him. He plays with a good attitude, like he never liked throws his clubs or anything.”

Cole Mayon, sophomore

What’s your favorite club?

Cole Mayon (James Pham)

“Probably my driver because I can just hit it far.”

What is your favorite course?

“Probably The Island Course at the Kingwood Country Club because it’s fun. It’s a good course. It’s in really good shape all the time.” 

What is your warmup routine? 

“I usually just hit a couple balls with each club. I usually feel my swing as best as I can, but that’s it.”

“Fruit snacks is a must. Granola bars, cookies, all those.”

“Definitely probably just like a bacon egg and cheese taquito and a milkshake.” 

“We usually have a range night like where we just hit balls on the range, figure our swings out. And then, I’m usually trying to get to bed early because you gotta wake up so early – but have a good dinner.” 

Who’s favorite professional player? 

“Probably Scottie Scheffler because he went to Texas and I’m a big Texas fan.”

Cory Case, freshman

Cory Case (James Pham)

What is your warmup routine?

“Before a tournament, I go hit some balls. I grab a 54, a low iron and a high iron, a three wood and a driver. I hit those and I putt.”

What do you eat during tournaments?

“[I eat] whatever my mom gets me, like fruit; and from Whataburger, I get the honey chicken biscuit thing.”