Freshman makes fashion fun

Emerson Harris

Freshman Sarah Orth leads a meeting of Fashion Club in January.

Emerson Harris, Staff writer

Freshman Sarah Orth has always loved fashion. She loved fashion so much that she started a club to discuss and learn about it. Now, she uses it as a way to help her build her confidence.

“Honestly, I didn’t even think I was gonna be able to start this,” said Orth. “But I overcame that. I use this as a place to get out of my comfort shell and help inspire others.”

Orth’s goal is to create a safe and welcoming environment for all students. She also wants to help creativity and self expression blossom.

“I’d like to help people learn about fashion because it is really something that can set you free from everyday life,” said Orth. “I think more people being even just involved in a simple club would really just feel like you have more freedom.”

The club has brought all grades together in a new way. Senior Cece Gonzalez, who has always had a love for costumes, joined to support her freshman friends. But she’s now found a place where she can openly learn, create and teach what she knows.

“I’ve learned that if you have just a few people in a school and they have a passion for something, no matter what it is, they will find a way to make a club,” Gonzalez said. “They’ll find a way to to inspire others and to help with self expression and individuality.”

Orth is very proud of starting Fashion Club so early in her high school career. 

“I just feel like a lot of clubs don’t get started by freshmen because we’re new to the school. So, you know, I think it’s kind of cool that I kind of just came here and I was like, ‘I’m just gonna get to work and start a club,’” said Orth.

Through Fashion Club, many people have been able to find a place that they can call home. Freshman Amara Amadi has made many friends thanks to the club.

“It’s such a safe place to gain relationships,” Amadi said. “Like to find people that have the same interests as you.”

While Orth has big plans for the club, she is unsure of what the future holds. But she is willing to go with the flow and shift as needed.

“To be honest, I’m just gonna go wherever the wind takes me,” Orth  said. “Things always pop up. Things always end up going away. So I try not to plan too far ahead or also just get really stressed out. But I’m always open to ideas and really like anything anybody throws in my way.”

If anyone is looking for a reason to join, self improvement might be one. Orth hopes that all members can get something special out of it.

“I would like to really hope these people in our club find self confidence,” Orth said. “Because even I struggle a lot with that, even though it might not exactly seem like it. I would just like I really want people to feel happy and be able to express themselves through what they wear.”