Varsity experience gives boost to young tennis players

Sophomores+Andrew+Carson+and+Olivia+Licona+walk+together+after+playing+a+varsity+mixed+doubles+match+in+the+fall.+Both+competed+in+JV+tournaments+in+the+spring.+

James Pham

Sophomores Andrew Carson and Olivia Licona walk together after playing a varsity mixed doubles match in the fall. Both competed in JV tournaments in the spring.

Cara Helton, Staff Writer

After just one year of playing, sophomore Olivia Licona made the varsity tennis team. It has dramatically shaped her as a player, even when she stepped down to play JV tournaments in the spring. 

The thing that makes me most excited is just their enthusiasm. They genuinely ask for advice. They ask for things that they can improve at, they’re super coachable and a lot of them will have opportunities to play meaningful spots for us next year.

— coach John Macapaz

“I think it’s affected me a lot, more mentally than physically, because those players have been playing for a long time,” Licona said. “They have a stronger mentality when it comes to tennis and I’ve had to adapt to that and be able to converse with them on their level of mentality.”

Licona, along with seven other players who made varsity, moved down to play JV in the spring. The 25 kids who made varsity in the fall had to compete for the 16 spring spots. For those who didn’t make the final cut, they continued practicing in the class period which inevitably led to their success on JV.

“Because a lot of them played matches in the fall for us, they had already exposed themselves to higher level competition so it wasn’t as hard for them to adjust in the spring,” tennis coach John Macapaz said. “But in the grand scale of it, they still are really young to the sport and yet have been battle tested a lot so they’ve definitely handled the pressure really well.”

Whether on varsity or JV, these kids have been assets to the tennis program. Macapaz is encouraged by their spirit and the leaders they are becoming.

“The thing that makes me most excited is just their enthusiasm,” Macapaz said. “It’s not like I ever forced them to practice. I never force them to do anything. They genuinely ask for advice. They ask for things that they can improve at, they’re super coachable and a lot of them will have opportunities to play meaningful spots for us next year.”

The first year players on varsity have shown just how much they care about tennis and how hard they can work. Their experience has not gone to waste and they’ll be taking advantage of it as their career in tennis continues. 

“By playing with people who are at a higher skill than me, I feel like I’ve learned and grown as a player and as a person and I get to have these awesome role models,” sophomore Andrew Carson said. 

Being a part of the team was what meant the most to Licona and had the most effect on her as a player. Her gratitude goes to the players with prior varsity experience. Whether helping them improve their tennis skills or just being a good friend, the upperclassmen made sure the newcomers felt welcomed on the team. 

“I think feeling like you’re part of a family when you’re on a team is extremely important and I think that needs to be practiced more across the board, just supporting each other no matter what,” Licona said.