The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Papadimitriou commits to Sam Houston

Sophomore+Abbey+Papadimitriou+looks+to+round+first+base+after+hitting+the+ball+against+Lufkin.+
Katie Gerbasich
Sophomore Abbey Papadimitriou looks to round first base after hitting the ball against Lufkin.

Junior Abbey Papadimitriou has been around softball since she was a baby. Her mom, Dr. Donna Papadimitriou, was coaching softball before Abbey even began playing. Abbey begged her mom to play, but her mom didn’t want her playing too soon because she worried Abbey would lose interest in it quickly. After more begging, her mom let her start playing.

Papadimitriou has now played softball for 11 years. She’s been playing on a travel ball team called Texas Riptide for most of her softball career. Texas Riptide isn’t a big organization, but they are a very powerful team. They have won numerous national tournaments and been one of the top-ranked teams in the nation. This team helped Papadimitriou accomplish her goal of committing to a Division 1 school for softball.

“Texas Riptide has played a vital role in my development as an athlete and as a person,” Papadimitriou said, “which has greatly impacted my recruitment process and commitment.”

On Oct. 3, Papadimitriou officially committed to Sam Houston State University, which is ranked No. 21 among colleges in Texas. What peaked Papadimitriou’s interest in SHSU was how nice the school’s softball facility is and campus is. She also described the softball organization as a comforting, family-oriented group, which was something she was looking for in a softball program and a school.

“I wanted to go somewhere that wanted me as a person,” Papadimitriou said.

Papadimitriou, who has been a starter on varsity for the past two years, is looking forward to playing for Sam Houston and attending the university. With the support from her friends and family, Papadimitriou said it will be a fun and interesting experience.

“I’m excited to play, I just really love playing,” she said. “I’m excited to play for another four years.”