‘One Piece’ and me

Fallon Head
Senior Ramiro Hernandez has always felt a connection with the “One Piece” franchise.

My connection with “One Piece” dates back to my years in middle school during summer break. I was bored out of my mind and wondering what to do with my time. That’s when my brother suggested I watch “One Piece,” even though he didn’t watch it himself. 

I didn’t know what I was in for, but I was immediately enraptured by it because I saw a boy with an impossible dream who was willing to go through any obstacle to attain and fulfill it. I felt inspired because he always had a smile on his face, which made me feel like I could do anything. It served as a boost to my confidence, reminding me to not have such a negative outlook on life and live it to the fullest without a care in the world. 

To me, “One Piece” is a way to calm myself and clear my mind when I’m not in the best of moods. It eventually lifts my mood, so this really helps me. I’ll remember certain quotes from it that calm me down and then take appropriate actions so that I don’t lash out or emotionally break down. 

It really is a great break from reality, because the world of “One Piece” is a world filled with wonders and possibilities. Watching it makes me more and more intrigued in it. Sometimes I wish that I was a part of it. 

“One Piece” can teach some important lessons along the way, and there is one quote that I keep close to my heart: ¨No one is born into this world to be alone.¨ This quote shows that no one is truly alone. Eventually we find people who will accept us for who we are. I use this as a constant reminder to myself that I’m not alone and that there are people who accept me for who I am. Knowing that makes me happy. 

From middle school to now, I’ve been a fan of “One Piece” and I always look forward to new episodes coming out with the awesome animations. My favorite part of the entire show, however, is watching as the main character, Luffy, achieves his dream of becoming King of the Pirates. Maybe when he accomplishes that, I’ll have achieved a dream of my own and I’ll keep on smiling toward the future that lies ahead with my friends by my side all the way through.