The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

‘Priscilla’ opens new window into Elvis’s personal life

Jacob Elordi and Cailee Spaeny in “Priscilla.” Courtesy of A24 Films.

If you were a fan of director Sofia Coppola’s other projects like “The Bling Ring” or “Marie Antoinette,” Coppola’s newest project “Priscilla,” released on Oct. 27, will definitely draw you in with its beautiful cinematography and heartbreaking story about Priscilla Presley and her relationship with American singer Elvis Presley.

This movie is based off of the book written by Priscilla Presley and her take on events when she was with Elvis, called, “Elvis and Me.” Priscilla stars “Euphoria” actor Jacob Elordi as Elvis and up-and-coming Cailee Spaeny as Priscilla herself. Due to Spaeny’s incredible performance as the lead role, fans look forward to seeing her in future movies.

The movie starts off with 14-year-old Priscilla and her time spent in Germany due to her stepfather being stationed there. One of the other men that was stationed there happened to know Elvis and invited Priscilla to come over to his house. Priscilla’s and Elvis’ relationship only blossomed from there. 

When Priscilla was 17 years old, she moved in with Elvis in Graceland and finished school there. Priscilla went through a lot of stuff with Elvis, like completely changing her appearance to please him, having to deal with him constantly cheating on her and his violent outbursts. 

Elvis and Priscilla tied the knot in 1967 and their daughter Lisa Marie was born a year later. They were together for six more years before ultimately divorcing on Oct. 9, 1973.

Fans of Elvis – and some of his family – were upset with the rendition of his personal life. Before Priscilla’s daughter Lisa Marie passed away earlier this year, she sent Coppola, the director of the movie, several emails, disapproving of how her father is conveyed in the film. Priscilla fully endorsed the accuracy of the movie though.

Overall, the movie is spectacular and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Priscilla Presley’s story – or even Elvis fans, who don’t mind leaving mad.