Fowler sees future in travel nursing

Jordan Hutchinson
Catherine Fowler takes health science classes in school to help prepare for her future career as a travel nurse.

Freshman Catherine Fowler has her heart set on becoming a travel nurse. Ever since sixth grade, Fowler has felt nursing is her passion. When she found out about travel nursing, she thought the job fit her interests perfectly. Travel nurses take temporary nursing positions in areas of need.

“I have always liked helping people, and I don’t really get scared around blood and stuff, so I just figured that would be a good job for me,” Fowler said.

Fowler’s family and friends are supportive of her passion. Fowler said her friends were not surprised when they found out she wanted to become a nurse.

Fowler has two encouraging aunts who inspire her to keep going with her nursing dream. One is a dermatology physician assistant who opened her own clinic, and the other aunt is a nurse who works with premature babies. Fowler’s family is proud of the amount of work and dedication that she is putting into trying to become a travel nurse.

“My mom has always wanted someone to be a doctor, either one of my other siblings or me, and I feel like she really likes that I like [nursing],” Fowler said.

Fowler plans on going to Texas A&M or Texas State to study nursing. Fowler also takes Principles of Health Science and is in HOSA to help prepare for becoming a nurse. She plans on taking several medical classes during high school. She is confident she will have a solid foundation before she even enters college.

“They have a lot of good classes,” she said. “You can take medical terminology, and you can go work at clinics in hospitals, and they have a lot of good introductions into nursing.” 

Fowler has big goals, and believes she can meet them if she puts in the work. She hopes to inspire others to follow their passions, and gives advice for anyone wanting to become a nurse.

“Take as many health classes as you can, especially in middle school,” she said, “and look into being a nurse.”

View Comments (1)
$815
$1000