Relays ready to help lift girls at Area

James Pham
Freshman Rionna Martin sprints to the finish in the 100m dash at the District Championships. She advanced to Area in the 100m, 200m and in the 4×100.

The girls 4×100 relay was nervous as junior Asia Martin was on the block waiting to hear the gun go off. The runners knew that only the top four teams would advance to Area.

“We all had the same goal – to win,” sophomore Reagan Fowler said. 

The relay team consisted of Martin, Fowler, sophomore Caitlin McLain and freshman Rionna Martin. 

The 4×100 team got 3rd place at the district meet, helping them to qualify for Area on April 11 at Turner Stadium. The girl track and field team took first place overall.

“We were really encouraged after winning districts,” McLain said. “We were really happy about that.”

Rionna Martin was a key newcomer to the team. She anchored the 4×100 and also qualified in the 100m and 200m. 

“Rionna got out there and brought us up to third place,” Fowler said.

With no seniors on the relay team, the runners have many goals they want to accomplish this season and in the seasons to come. 

“My goal is to always PR and do better than I did yesterday,” McLain said.

Also competing in the girls Area track meet will be the 4×400 relay. At the district meet, the relay consisted of junior Jahniya Jones, sophomore Maria Maldonado, sophomore Madison Staggs and senior Eva Abshire.

The girls placed 2nd at the district meet in their relay. They competed against Lufkin, Porter, Huntsville and Nacogdoches, beating all but Lufkin. Both relays were a big help in securing the team’s district title.

We had to battle it out over two days and it took everyone,” track coach Cody Cook said.

The runners said the track coaches have played a big role in the team’s success, whether it’s pushing the girls to be their best or just being there to support them.

“They have inspired me to move out of my comfort zone, and they’ve pushed me to do more than I thought I could do,” Jones said.