Breakout players ready to shine in MLB

Nico Hoerner, Anthony Volpe, Yainer Diaz and Riley Greene are players to watch in the MLB this year. Breakout seasons are possible. Photos courtesy of MLB.

It’s a new season of baseball, which means there are players who are ready for a breakout. Each year we watch as players who were swept under the radar last year, blow up into quality or all-star caliber players. So what players from each position do I think will take the next step this year?

Catcher: Yainer Diaz, Houston Astros

Diaz was 18 when he was signed to the Cleveland Indians in 2016. He was then traded to the Astros in 2021, where he made his MLB debut. Last year he split time with catcher Martín Maldonado, which led to 355 At Bats and 108 games played. In this short time, however, he put up impressive stats with 23 home runs and 60 RBIs, while batting a .282 average and a .846 OPS. Now with Maldonado leaving for the White Sox, Diaz seems to be the set-in-stone starter. At only 25 years old, Diaz possesses great arm strength and power, while having a good sense of the field. With an impressive start to the 2024 season, Diaz proves why he can be a future star, or even MVP in the league

First Baseman: Ryan Mountcastle, Baltimore Orioles

Mountcastle was drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft by the Baltimore Orioles. He would make his MLB debut in 2020, and has been the starting first baseman ever since. Mountcastle is only 27, but has a good amount of experience in the league. He hasn’t averaged above a .300 since his rookie year, but with a stacked Orioles roster and constant improvement in his stats, Mountcastle could have a huge season and earn his first all -tar appearance. He also offers great defense and could be in contention for the Gold Glove.

Second Base: Nico Hoerner, Chicago Cubs

Nico Hoerner isn’t the most unnoticed player on this list by any means. He’s been in the league since 2019 but didn’t get the full starting job until 2022. The 26-year-old isn’t the most powerful hitter with only 22 home runs in his career, but he makes up for it in every other aspect on the field. His fielding last year was almost perfect, hence why he won the Gold Glove. He also has great speed that turns an average base hit into a double or even a triple. So if Hoerner can boost his power while maintaining everything else, Hoerner can potentially be the starting second baseman for the NL All Stars. 

Shortstop: Anthony Volpe, New York Yankees

Anthony Volpe has some of the highest expectations on this list, yet he is one of the youngest. Being one of the top prospects last year, Volpe was promoted and set to be the starting shortstop of the Yankees. He had high odds to win Rookie of the Year, and was even getting comparisons to franchise legend Derek Jeter. However, Volpe had an underwhelming rookie year, only batting a .209 and getting struck out 167 times compared to his 52 walks. But that was only his rookie year, and Volpe still has time to develop. All it takes is one year and Volpe can turn himself into an MVP candidate.

Third Base: Isaac Paredes, Tampa Bay Rays

Isaac Paredes had a great 2023. Paredes hit for 31 home runs with a .250 batting average. Paredes isn’t one of those players who need to improve from “average” to “above average.” He is one of the players that’s next step is award winner. Ever since becoming the starter in 2022, Paredes has become a very noticeable power hitter. Almost every stat jumped from 2022 to 2023, and he shows no sign of slowing down. If he stays on pace, Paredes could help bring the Rays to their next World Series and potentially more.

Right Field: Riley Greene, Detroit Tigers

Riley Greene was drafted 5th overall in 2019, making him a huge priority for the Tigers. He made his MLB debut in 2022 but didn’t receive a lot of playtime due to a crowded outfield room. In 2023, he had 11 home runs with a .288 batting average, which is good for only 378 at bats. Even after playing center field his whole career, he has been claimed to have earned a starting spot in right field. It’s hard to see exactly what he is capable of due to his lack of play time; but with a new role on the team, I think we’ll see what the 23-year-old is capable of.

Center Field: Jackson Merrill, San Diego Padres

Jackson Merrill is the only rookie on this list, but I think he could have maybe the best season here. Merrill was drafted in 2021, and was ranked as the 12th best prospect going into 2023. He was called up by the Padres, and he has shown reasons he could be a threat in the league. He hit 21 home runs and had a .295 average in the minors, demonstrating how he is a great contact and power hitter. Merrill fits the Padres center field spot perfectly, pairing up with Fernando Tatis Jr. and Jurickson Profar. Merrill has a bright future ahead of him with all-star invites and maybe an MVP in the future. 

Left Field: Colton Cowser, Baltimore Orioles

Another Oriole, Cowser seems to be one of the future stars of Baltimore’s organization. He was one of the Orioles’ top picks, being chosen 5th overall in the 2021 draft. He was ranked the 40th prospect before the Orioles called him up in 2023, where he only played 26 games. Sure, in those games he batted a .155 batting average, which isn’t the most prestigious stat to have. This is a new season, however, and now with a guaranteed starting spot and great contact hits, Cowser has a bright future ahead of him on an already prospect-studded team.

Pitcher: Kyle Harrison, San Francisco Giants

Drafted out of high school in 2020, Harrison has had a lot of time to develop. In the seven games he played last year, he had a 4.15 ERA with 29 hits. These stats would be horrible for an ace pitcher, but Harrison is only 22. He is a guaranteed starter in the Giants rotation, and this game time will help him develop and eventually turn into a star. Also with the addition of Cy Young winner Blake Snell, Harrison will have an experienced player to learn from. Maybe he’s not an all star yet, but watch for a breakout at any time, as Harrison could be the future ace of San Francisco.

Designated Hitter: Wyatt Langford, Texas Rangers

The 4th overall pick of the reigning champions, Langford has everything to be a future star. Langford is only 22, and was instantly called up after being drafted. Langford offers great contact, which is something that a team’s designated hitter needs. The Rangers have put him here to have a spot on the team, but in the future we could see him become a utility player or even a starter on the field. Nonetheless he has a lot of potential, with a lot of pressure to perform due to the World Series-caliber team he is on. So watch out for Langford, as he could end up being a top 10 DH by the end of the year.