What’s Worth Your Time: Long-term drama shows

By Emilia Johnson

There is a reason drama and mystery are my favorite genres. There is truly nothing like being captivated by a show. There is no greater feeling than being drawn to a screen for hours that you’re unable to even pick up your phone. That’s the exact feeling I got from watching the following shows.

The first show I’m going to recommend to you is a show I feel doesn’t get enough appreciation. That show is called “Bloodline,” and it follows the Rayburn family. They are one of the most well-known families in Islamorada, Fla., which is in the Keys. It all starts when the family is celebrating the anniversary of their successful hotel. Everything is going great until their brother, Danny, who has been the odd one out since they were kids, shows up. Danny ends up deciding to stay in Islamorada with the rest of his family after the visit. Danny continues to stir the pot in his visit and things unravel. “Bloodline” is great if you liked the shows “You,” “Killing Eve,” “School Spirits,” “The Serpent,” and “True Detective.” It’s definitely one of the best dramatic thrillers I’ve watched.

The next shows I will recommend are some of my favorites. They all have one thing in common. They were all produced by the amazing Shonda Rhimes. I’ll save the Shonda Rhimes biography for another day, but all you really need to know is that she’s brilliant and the genius behind many of your favorite shows. I’m not going to go in-depth and explain these shows to you. All you need to take from this is that these shows are great and you should watch them. 

My favorite Shondaland shows are “Scandal,” “How To Get Away With Murder,” and, of course, “Grey’s Anatomy.” These shows all follow powerful women doing very outstanding things. 

I was hesitant to watch “Scandal” and “How To Get Away With Murder” at first, but I ultimately gave in for the better. However, with “Grey’s Anatomy,” I always said I’d never watch it. A lot of people think that way at first. It wasn’t until I found myself completely bored with my shows that I gave in, and thank god I did. Anyone who is telling themselves that they will never watch “Grey’s Anatomy” is missing out. 

The great thing about “Grey’s Anatomy” is that I can always come back to it. If I finish a show and I’m not sure what to begin watching after that, I can take my time and enjoy a season of “Grey’s Anatomy” until I find a new show to watch. You’ll be able to do this forever because “Grey’s Anatomy” has 20 seasons and has already announced their 21st.  

Another great drama is “Friday Night Lights.” Friday Night Lights is set in Dillon, Texas, a small town that’s only claim to fame is its high school football team – the Dillon Panthers. As Coach Eric Taylor embarks on his first season as head coach of the team, he is beset with countless challenges. It’s a great show with amazing storylines. I got the misconception that I had to be interested in football to actually enjoy this show at first, but that’s not at all necessary. 

“Friday Night Lights” is amazing in every category. To put it into simpler terms, it’s just a universally great show.

Drama is such a vast genre with many more categories, and these shows are barely the tip of the iceberg. There are so many more amazing dramas out there, these are just some that I really enjoyed and I think you will too.