Students abuse Kahoot, taking away from the class review

Kaeli Davidson

Freshman Javier Solis plays the review game, Kahoot, in HazelAnne Prescott’s AP Human Geography class.

Kaeli Davidson, Special Contributor

Laughter floats through the air followed by friendly banter as they wait to begin. They laugh and joke as they try to come up with a code name — something fun like the name of a character or singer. The class is way more alive than a person would expect considering it’s the day before a test.

They chatter enthusiastically as they wait to begin and once the teacher presses play the game of knowledge and reflexes begins.

“This is my first year using Kahoot and I really enjoy it,” World Geography teacher Christopher Carter said. “I plan to use it a lot over the next few years.”  

Students seem to enjoy the fun review game just as much as the teachers do.

“Kahoot just makes reviewing so much easier,” freshman Grace Klauzner said. “It’s incredibly fun and easy to use.”

Almost every student knows the worst part of school is tests and that studying can at times be even worse. A rare upside to testing is review days and games like Kahoot, an app that incorporates fun and learning to create the ultimate study game.

Over the past few weeks there have been at least two instances where students have abused the privilege though.

Students have taken their freedom and used it to amuse themselves instead of taking advantage of the easier studying opportunity. Students have been sending the game code to students outside of class and using inappropriate usernames.

In each incident, teachers have had to stop playing or eliminate the students responsible.   

“Two kids have been banished, isolated and now the game code is changed every period,” Carter said, who had an issue during one of his classes.

While Kahoot is very helpful and easy for teachers and students to use, students take advantage of the freedom they are given, taking away the fun, educational oppurtunity.

“It works to a certain extent,” freshman Victoria Marquez said. “Some people use it while others abuse the privilege.”