Women’s golf works to continue dynasty after year two of winning state

Kylee Wing, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The girls golf team faces a unique challenge as it moves to a new stage this year. The squad has added new players to the top five after losing one medalist and two state championship members to college.

The changes have motivated the girls to step up and work to achieve their goals alongside the coaches, Jason Watson and Angela Chancellor, who are bringing the team closer together.

“This year won’t be much different than the last year,” said Saenz. “We still have one goal and one focus: a state championship.”

With state on the horizon, the team must defend their title with new circumstances after winning back-to-back state championships.

“This team won’t settle for anything less than a third consecutive state championship,” Chancellor said. “They work towards that goal every day.”

The team completed qualifiers, which determined the top five: seniors Saenz and Erin Silman, sophomores Leah Alberto and Elise Parel and junior Rilea Ferguson.
The line-up also includes medalists juniors Gaby Lopez and Elizabeth Davies and sophomores Bethany Bruton and Illiana Judd.

Only two were on the returning state championship team. The current group must follow in the footsteps of a previous team that had been being described as “a well oiled machine.”
And they are expected to go even further.

“We have to work hard,” Parel said. “We have to work harder than last year.”

They must make their own identity, create their own legacy and work hard to achieve their own goal. They’ve witnessed achievement first-hand, swing by swing, and now are striving to be better.

“They are hungry to leave their own mark on the K-Park program and want to keep the championship tradition alive,” Chancellor said.

The girls have even formed their own slogan: #makeyourmark.

The hashtag illustrates the determination needed to start off the season with their first tournament:, The NEISD Swing for the Cure in San Antonio from September 30 to October 1.

Last year, the KPHS team finished fourth at the tournament, which played without Texas A&M commit Saenz. This year, they placed sixth.

In the second tournament of the year at Eagle Point on Oct. 10 – Oct. 11, the girls placed first, and alongside them at Eagle Point the boys placed fourth.

To achieve this, the coaches prepared the girls.

“We’ve been working on trying to shoot low by playing and practicing a lot,” Parel said. “She gives us drills for short game, up and downs, and basic putting drills.”

Everyone is confident in their abilities, and Saenz says being recognized as Team Captain is an incredible feeling.

“Kingwood Park’s golf program is viewed highly of, and to be recognized as a Team Captain is an incredible feeling,” Saenz said. “Leading the girls’ team will be one of the highlights of my senior year.”