Young teachers bring enthusiasm to classes

Science+teacher%2C+Meredith+Schlosberg+talks+with+sophomore+Sharna+Ngo+in+tutoring+during+flex+hour.+Schlosberg+teaches+Integrated+Physics+and+Chemistry+%28IPC%29+and+pre-AP+Chemistry.+

Kathleen Ortiz

Science teacher, Meredith Schlosberg talks with sophomore Sharna Ngo in tutoring during flex hour. Schlosberg teaches Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC) and pre-AP Chemistry.

Sara Geiger, News Editor

Many teachers were inspired to get into the education field because of an influential teacher from when they were in high school.

For science teacher Meredith Schlosberg, it was her sophomore English teacher, Mrs. Rinehart. Schlosberg’s parents got a divorce when she was in high school and the compassion Rinehart displayed to her at the time showed Schlosberg how much teachers cared for their students.

“Right in the midst of my parents’ divorce, she was there for me. She listened and encouraged me to keep doing my best in school,” Schlosberg said.

English teacher Allyson Pitcel began thinking about becoming a teacher after being influenced by her high school Spanish teacher, Mr. Timpanaro. Her senior class at Northeast Christian Academy had 17 people, so when everyone took Latin as a second language, she was the only student in Spanish for 3 years. Pitcel said that Timpanaro was the reason she majored in both English and Spanish in college.

“I had teachers who really made a point to connect with us and taught that it was a priority,” Pitcel said.

Being close in age with students comes with many advantages for the new teachers. Both Schlosberg and Pitcel said it’s easier to relate to their students because they know what it’s like to be in school and understand the stresses they are under inside and outside of the classroom.

“I had a really hard time in high school; I know how stressful it can be. I want to be there for my students and help them with what they’re going through,” Schlosberg said.

High school was just over four years ago for Schlosberg, who spent a lot of her time as a competitive swimmer on Aledo High School’s swim team. Young Schlosberg went camping every summer with her family and became skilled at windsurfing. Now, she coaches club swim for Blue Tide Aquatics in her free time.

Schlosberg originally started college as a pre-med major at A&M but soon realized it wasn’t what she was meant to do.

“I went home one semester and found this letter I wrote to my future self as a kid. It said I hoped to be a teacher,” Schlosberg said. “I was like yes that’s what I want to do.”

Principal Lisa Drabing is already anticipating the success of the new teachers this year. She said she is looking forward to what they will bring to the school.

“You always have to bring in fresh, new ideas,” said Drabing.