Bass fishing becomes a favorite pastime, passion for O’Neal

Sophomore+Devin+ONeal+hopes+to+become+a+bass+fisherman+when+he+is+older.+He+already+competes+in+a+number+of+tournaments+each+year+with+his+grandfather.+

Submitted by Devin O'Neal

Sophomore Devin O’Neal hopes to become a bass fisherman when he is older. He already competes in a number of tournaments each year with his grandfather.

Madison Mena, Staff Writer

Sophomore Devin O’Neal, who started fishing when he was about 5, is very passionate about becoming a professional bass fisherman.

“I want to win tournaments and practice to be the best that I can be,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal is currently enrolled in the Texas High School Bass Association, an organization for students to begin their careers in professional bass fishing. This organization gives students the opportunity to compete for scholarships ranging from $2,000-$20,000.

“The most stressful thing during the tournaments is the counting down of the last hour or losing a big catch before the time is up,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal’s grandfather is his fishing partner in these tournaments. They have been fishing together since he was a little boy.

“Me and my grandfather have a better relationship and have grown a lot closer,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal loves fishing because it is fun and reduces his stress and gives him self-esteem.  He likes to spend time outdoors with his friends and family. He has become more involved with other people his age who have the same interests.

“My goal in fishing is to compete in the highest level of professional bass fishing, The Bassmaster Classics,” O’Neal said.