Roberts enjoys virtual school, despises tensions in DC

Submitted by Olivia Roberts

Junior Olivia Roberts is a virtual student this year, who is also filling some of her free time working at Starbucks.

Gabby Norman, Managing Editor

Junior Olivia Roberts has taken a step back from what was considered “normal life” and has begun doing things her own way.

“[My job] has helped me during COVID because I got to at least have communication with other people and leave the house for a little bit,” Roberts said. “That helped my mental health a lot, and it also allowed me to break out of my shell and be more comfortable with speaking to others.”

Roberts has found a new home while working at Starbucks, and she doesn’t intend to return to in-person school for the foreseeable future. Virtual school presented challenges for Roberts, such as motivation and not being around friends, but she has pushed through and is currently doing well. Personal well-being aside, Roberts has her mind focused not just on schoolwork. 

With all the tensions in our country, many students have had their own opinions, Roberts included. 

“In my opinion, I think that what [the rioters are] doing is selfish and completely unnecessary,” Roberts said. “I think that many people aren’t even educated enough on politics to even have a political affiliation, and I think that everyone should learn more about it before arguing with others.”

Roberts stands by her beliefs and knows that things such as social media can both hinder and help the education of students on social media platforms.

“It’s a love-hate relationship,” Roberts said. “Social media kinda sucks, and it affects your mental health in ways that you don’t even see. I barely even use social media because I just think it’s all fake anyway. It’s people’s fantasies of what they want their lives to be, and it causes others to think that their lives aren’t as good as yours.

Roberts has used the quarantine to learn and better herself, starting with who and what she surrounds herself with. 

“At first, COVID really affected my mental health, and it was hard not being around the people that I was closest to, and that made me the happiest,” Roberts said. “It taught me not to take anything for granted because it can be taken away from you, and it taught me how to be alone without having to feel lonely. I’ve really just been trying to associate myself with positive people and try to keep an open mind.”