Attendance will not be factored into exam exemptions

Attendance+will+not+be+factored+into+the+decision+on+whether+or+not+kids+can+exempt+finals+this+year.+

Kathleen Ortiz

Attendance will not be factored into the decision on whether or not kids can exempt finals this year.

Gabby Norman, Managing Editor

Students coming to school sick has never been considered a good thing; however, many have found themselves doing it in the past to be able to exempt finals. In the past years, students have only been able to exempt finals if they had three or fewer absences. This year, attendance will not be a factor in exemptions. 

The decision has not yet been made by the district on if exams will be optional and only help students’ grades, as was the case last year with COVID and so many attending school virtually.

“We are still working on details,” assistant superintendent Trey Kraemer said. “Attendance definitely won’t be a part of a final exam policy this year.”

This decision will come as a relief to both virtual and in-person students. Students and teachers testing positive with COVID-19 or any other type of illness are required to stay at home and quarantine for 10 days, which would have made it impossible for many students to exempt finals. 

“If you don’t feel well, don’t come to school,” Kraemer said. “It’s about personal responsibility.”

As far as principal Wesley Solomon is concerned, sickness has always been a concern and schools are starting to deal with it better. 

“It’s a concern, it’s always been a concern,” Solomon said. “Any kind of kid that is sick or has a fever, I think we’ve really progressed, we have supported them through Schoology and online. I am proud of the work we’ve done to help the kids. Yeah, you’re sick and you’re gonna miss, but we want you to stay at home. There are options so students don’t fall behind as much.”