Dynamic duo leads volleyball squad

Kathleen Ortiz

Seniors Charlee Jordan and Amri Williams talk to the students at the pep rally on Sept. 17, encouraging them to attend the volleyball game.

Taylor Nethery, Staff Writer

Seniors Amri Williams and Charlee Jordan have been teaming up on the court since they were in 7th grade. After playing together for five years, they’ve become leaders to this year’s volleyball team and hope to help the team return to the playoffs. 

“They both bring lots of good things to the table,” volleyball coach Stormi Champion said. “I think they’ve really stepped into their leadership roles and led by example. When I look at them, I think KPARK volleyball.”

Williams started playing volleyball when she was in 7th grade. She brings a fun personality to the team and always gets the team hyped up before games. She’s a strong blocker and was nominated for preseason blocker of the year by VYPE this year. 

“I love getting hype with her on the court,” Jordan said. “It’s really good to have her as my other middle. She keeps me on my toes during practice. We make each other better.”

They both bring lots of good things to the table. I think they’ve really stepped into their leadership roles and led by example. When I look at them, I think KPARK volleyball.

— coach Stormi Champion

Jordan has also played volleyball since 7th grade. She has a lot of experience and tries her best to help the team regroup if they’re having a rough set. Jordan and Williams are both big role models for the team and bring different things that complement each other on and off the court. 

“Charlee adds a plethora of experience,” Champion said. “She’s a solid leader and when she’s not on the court you can really tell a difference.”

Champion has brought a fresh slate to the team in her first year. She said she recognized quickly the leadership skills Williams and Jordan bring to the table.

“Amri has shown a lot of senior leadership,” Champion said. “She really is a good role model and demonstrates what needs to happen. Overall [she] is like the ‘KPARK way’ to all of our underclassmen.”

Being led by Williams and Jordan, the team has become a tight knit group. There is no issue when it comes to teamwork since they have fun together on and off the court. 

“It’s good not to have cliques,” Jordan said, “so we’re all together: one team, one heartbeat.”