Wilson ready for final season

Senior+Savannah+Wilson+drives+to+the+basket+against+Willis+on+Nov.+23.+The+Panthers+won+57-34.+

Arleigh Doehring

Senior Savannah Wilson drives to the basket against Willis on Nov. 23. The Panthers won 57-34.

Gabby Norman, Managing Editor

Savannah Wilson’s grandfather has been one of the biggest influences throughout her basketball career. He introduced her to the sport the senior has been playing since she was 4. There’s only one catch — he hated basketball.
“He hates basketball but when I went to his house he’d play with me,” Wilson said. “After that, I played with church teams or little travel teams, and between seventh and eighth grade I played AAU.”
Wilson was born in North Carolina and then moved to Georgia two years later. She moved to Texas toward the end of fifth grade and spent her freshman and sophomore years at Kingwood High School before transferring to Kingwood Park.

I just like to play. It’s my own little world.

— Savannah Wilson, senior

“I moved houses and I thought this would be a better fit for me academically,” Wilson said.
Wilson has become a leader for the Panthers after just one season. She believes it’s her attitude that draws the others to her.
“We work really well together; there’s no separate cliques, we all laugh together, we mess around, and we’re pretty close as a team,” Wilson said. “Last year we went 26-1, were undefeated in district, and lost the third round of playoffs. We do have a lot of new people, it’s good to have their experience and numbers.”
This year, the Panthers are currently ranked No. 15 in 5A. Wilson has already committed to play college and has been nominated as Houston’s VYPE Preseason Girls Player of the Year.
“I’m committed to Siena College in New York,” Wilson said. “It’s Div. I, so I plan to go up there. I’m excited, I hate the heat.”
Over the past year, Wilson has been working on improving her game and her relationship with teammates. Her philosophy is that basketball is just a game, so one needs to make it fun.
“I’m a jokester, I like to have fun, but I take things seriously when they need to be serious,” Wilson said. “I just like to play. It’s my own little world.”