Abby Hunt grateful for theater experiences

Emerson Harris

Senior Abigail Hunt comforts Taylor Mattingly during a scene in varsity theater’s UIL one-act play “The Diviners.”

Emerson Harris, Staff Writer

Senior Abby Hunt has been performing onstage since sixth grade. The Drama Club co-president said she has had a lot of key people influence her life, especially her dad who was also a theater kid in high school. He helped Hunt as she made her way through the theater world.

“He was someone who kind of mentored me through middle school and as I came into high school,” Hunt said. “He was always someone that I could turn to and be like, ‘Hey, how would you do this?’”

Though Hunt is a leader in the department, she has overcome her own struggles. Hunt said she suffers from a few learning disabilities, like ADHD and dyslexia. But she said they have not stopped her from making the best out of every situation.

“I never got the accommodations to work with those, so I had to figure out how to live my life and still get good grades and still be a functioning member of society,” Hunt said.

Hunt has spent her entire high school years in theater, but she doesn’t plan on pursuing it in the future. She plans to attend Sam Houston in the fall to study nursing. However, she is grateful for what theater has given her.

“I think that my calling is somewhere else,” Hunt said. “And I think that I will always look back on theater and really appreciate it.” 

Hunt has had many ups and downs in her life, but they have never affected her positive personality. She has always been able to stay strong.

“I think that if things didn’t go wrong, I wouldn’t have been able to work through them,” Hunt said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today. It seems kind of basic, but I think that I’m happy with who I am. I think that everything that has happened in the past has formed me and has formed who I am today.”