The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Pantry helps supply food, clothes, toiletries to students in need

Food pantry sits available to students, who especially need food on the weekends at their homes. The pantry also includes toiletries and clothing. Photo submitted by Gina Sanchez.

This year student support counselor Gina Sanchez saw a hole that needed  to be filled within the school. 

“About 30% of our school population are on free or reduced lunch,” Sanchez said. “And a lot of those kids on weekends don’t have that food. It’s called food insecurity.” 

To help students with a lack of resources, Sanchez started a food closet that would be available for free to students. The closet and resources are entirely filled through donations from student organizations. 

“Each one of the organizations, the sponsors,” Sanchez said, “talked to their kids to decide whether they wanted to be part of it. And everybody said yes.”

In the end, Student Council, HOSA, NHS and AVID donated items to fill the closet, which extended beyond food. Sanchez also accepted donations of clothes and toiletries. 

“I donated clothes and shoes to the clothes/food closet,” said Alani Martinez, a member of the Senior Student Council and NHS. “I think these resources will really help those in need of clothing that they can’t obtain easily.”

Any student can reach out to Sanchez for any help they may need. Specifically she works with the at-risk student population in the school. The at-risk label can include but is not limited to low income families, students in foster care and students who are failing two or more classes.

It’s hard to ask for help. But people who get into education – teachers, counselors, principals – we’re doing it because we want to help people.

— counselor Tim Hurlbert

“And even if they’re not at risk, they can still come to me and ask for help,” Sanchez said.

Students can also reach out to their house office or counselor if they are in need. 

“It’s hard to ask for help,” school counselor Tim Hurlbert said. “But people who get into education – teachers, counselors, principals – we’re doing it because we want to help people.” 

Sanchez is also working on several new resources for students. She hopes to reinstate the prom closet that would give out free formalwear to students, as well as apply for a grant for sand therapy. It serves as a non-verbal, non-threatening way for students to bring things up. 

“So the way this works,” Sanchez said, “is that literally there’s a sand tray and you take these miniatures and you build your world. Your world can be full of chaos and all that stuff. And then we talk through how to help fix this world.”

She encourages students to communicate any of their needs to her. Even if she can’t help she can find you someone who can.  

Sanchez also encouraged  students to donate to the program. Food donations can be dropped off in room 2400. There is also a bin by the front office where students can put clothing donations. 

While organizations will sometimes promote a drive in which service points are offered, the donations are needed and accepted all year.

“It’s a great opportunity for kids to give back,” Sanchez said. “Not only to get service points, but to know what it is to give.” 

View Comments (1)
Donate to KP TIMES
$815
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kingwood Park High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. The journalism program at Kingwood Park is funded solely from student sold advertisements and community support.