The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Jimersons silence Hallsville as boys soccer advances to Round 2

Senior Evan Jimerson reacts after scoring the team’s first goal as freshman Kye Wehby, sophomore Ronan Flaherty and junior Chase Bennett surround him. Jimerson’s goal cut the team’s deficit to 2-1 against Hallsville in the first round of the playoffs. The Panthers went on to win 5-2.

The Hallsville Bobcats jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 13 minutes, but no one on the Kingwood Park boys soccer team panicked.

Junior Grant Jimerson runs to the ball after going for a 50/50 ball in the air. He ended the first-round playoff victory with a hat trick.
(Arleigh Doehring)

“I knew we had it,” junior Grant Jimerson said. “I knew we were good. We just kind of had to settle into the game.”

The Panthers did just that as they went on to score five unanswered goals and capture a 5-2 victory in the Bi-District Championship. They advanced to the Area round, where they will face Lucas Lovejoy at 7 p.m. on Friday night. 

The game showcased the talent of the Jimerson brothers, who were playing in their first high school playoff game. Evan scored two early goals to tie the game, and Grant scored the other three goals for a hat trick.

“They scored five goals and contributed two assists.” coach Christian Boehm said, describing the Jimerson brothers’ night. “They were crucial in the turnaround. But again, it’s a team effort and they can’t do those things up top if we are not more secure in midfield and in the defense. And after the two Hallsville goals, our defense and midfield stabilized to where Evan and Grant could do their thing.”

Junior Johnny West takes a free kick at midfield. He assisted on a goal by Grant Jimerson in the 5-2 victory against Hallsville. (Arleigh Doehring)

As soon as the Panthers went down 2-0, Evan Jimerson said he knew he had to try to make something happen.

“I was at the top of the box and [the ball] kind of came out to me,” Evan Jimerson said of his first goal. “I think I just took a touch and I kind of knew where the goal was and I just thought, ‘ Why not hit it? Give it a chance.’ We needed something to get us going. So I just shot it.”

He scored a few minutes later to tie the game when he bent a free kick around a wall created by Hallsville players and into the goal.

After that, Evan Jimerson connected with his brother. Grant scored two goals in the first half with Evan assisting on both of them.

“The first one, Evan played a long ball over the top and I ran onto it and cut it back and took a touch,” Grant said. “I shot it and it went in. And then the second one, he shot it and it deflected right to me and I scored.”

Grant’s final goal came in the second half with an assist by Jonny West.

Despite dominating the game, this was the Jimersons’  first high school playoff experience. Their club soccer team did not allow them to play high school soccer before this season. 

“It was exciting,” said Evan, who has signed to play at DePaul University next year. “I had a lot of fun. I think the atmosphere is different just knowing that if you lose, you’re going home. So I think it’s more intense too, and I really enjoyed it.”

In the end, the Jimersons made sure their playoff experience lasted another game.  

“[Hallsville] came into the game with nothing to lose,” Boehm said. “And that’s how they played in the first 10 minutes. After Evan scored, the body language of Hallsville at that point in time. I think they understood that a 2-0 lead was definitely not enough and they should have not taken their foot off the gas pedal.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to KP TIMES
$815
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kingwood Park High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. The journalism program at Kingwood Park is funded solely from student sold advertisements and community support.