Championship State of Mind

Evan and Grant Jimerson hope to replicate the success their siblings have had in Kingwood Park soccer uniforms.
Evan and Grant Jimerson played in their first game with the Kingwood Park soccer team on Saturday in a scrimmage against Aldine Nimitz.

Just five years ago, Evan and Grant Jimerson watched their older sister Claire play in the state semifinals with the Kingwood Park girls soccer team.

Two years later, they were back in the stands watching their older brother Nathan play in the 2021 boys state soccer finals. 

Now they are trying to do what their siblings never did: earn Kingwood Park its first soccer state championship. 

“I remember that era of KPark soccer was great, and we aspire to be as good as that,” said Grant, a junior defender on the boys team this year.

During Nathan Jimerson’s junior and senior seasons, the boys team went 47-3-2. His final game was a 3-2 loss to perennial power Frisco Wakeland in the state championship game. The roles will reverse over winter break when Nathan comes home from LSU to watch his younger brothers play high school soccer for the first time.

As someone who knows what it takes to win big games, Nathan sees a special season ahead.

“I think the Kingwood Park Panthers are going to win state this year,” Nathan Jimerson said. 

Evan and Grant grew up in a soccer family. They were always at the soccer fields. Balls were always scattered throughout their house – constantly at the feet of one of the four kids. 

Evan, Claire, Nathan and Grant Jimerson take a photo outside their home on a HeatWave game day. Photo courtesy of Kate Jimerson.

When Evan was just a toddler his mom saw him pull the ball back and do tricks beyond his years.

“Maybe he’s going to be a soccer player,” his mom remembers thinking. 

Instead of one soccer player, the Jimersons had four. 

Evan Jimerson was always eager to go to the soccer field near his house with his three siblings. 

“Who wants to go to the field?” Evan would ask. “Do you want to go to the fields? Should we go to the park?”

Some days they went once. Some days they went twice. They’d make up little competitions with each other. They’d play 1 vs. 1. And if their friends joined them, they’d create teams and play a scrimmage.

With four kids playing competitive soccer, the family’s vacation money went toward tournaments. Their parents have spent countless hours driving to practices, games, tournaments and showcases to support their kids’ dreams. 

“We have always said that we will sacrifice for this and drive you across town for practices, and spend the money when we can as long as you love it, so if you guys love it we can make the sacrifices without hesitation,” their mom Kate Jimerson said.

One sacrifice both boys had to make was not playing high school soccer. Grant and Evan played on Rise’s top team as part of MLS NEXT. Being a part of that program resulted in giving up the opportunity to participate in high school soccer. 

When their club changed to become part of the ECNL program this year, they had the chance to join the Kingwood Park soccer team. 

“I hope they enjoy it and they make some friends and good memories before they go off,” Nathan Jimerson said. “It’s not as serious as college soccer, so I hope they have just a few good fun years with it.”

Junior Grant Jimerson pushes the ball forward in the first half against Nimitz on Dec. 9. (Sydney Ortiz)

Evan gets only one high school season, but his soccer days will continue. On Nov. 8, Evan signed to play Division I soccer at DePaul University in Chicago. For Evan, the recruiting process started at national showcases in eighth grade. While he had multiple offers, he ultimately chose DePaul because of the consistency from the coaches throughout the entire process.

“I know it’s going to be hard, so I’m excited for a new challenge,” Evan said. 

For now, he’s just happy to focus on playing with his brother and the rest of his new teammates.

On the field coach Christian Boehm has already noticed subtle differences between the brothers. Evan plays attacking midfield while Grant splits time between defensive midfield and center back. Boehm said Evan is a little bit more quiet on the field, while Grant plays with more aggression. 

Their mom jokes that the differences don’t stop there. 

“Grant’s a little grumpier, and Evan always has a smile,” laughed Kate Jimerson.

It’s their differences that fit in well with the team’s returning six starters. 

Boehm said this year’s players have diverse playing styles, which will make them harder to defend. He also said key returners like senior Luke Cavallo, junior Blake Lawson and senior Finn Bruce, complement Evan and Grant well. 

Boehm said Grant brings a certain level of attitude that can get the team to the next level, while Evan brings a wealth of experience and leadership qualities to the midfield.

Senior Evan Jimerson makes his way past defenders as he pushes the ball up the field in the first half of the scrimmage against Nimitz. (Sydney Ortiz)

“I feel like every time Evan is on the ball, something special is about to happen and the boys all just watch him,” Boehm said. “They’re happy that he’s with us and they’re happy that he’s going to be the person that’s going to distribute balls up top so we can hopefully score more goals.”

The boys remember sitting in the stands and watching as their siblings made it to the biggest stage in Texas high school soccer. Now that they wear Panthers uniforms, their goals are big.

With their mom and dad often in the stands, their parents’ advice always rings in their ears.

“One thing we’ve always said before their games – instead of good luck or have fun – we always say, ‘Be great,’” Kate Jimerson said. “And they are great.” 

View Comments (1)
$815
$1000