The student news site of Kingwood Park High School

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

KP TIMES

Softball team ready for Round 3 matchup

The infield huddles around and talks after getting an out in a regular season game against Huntsville.

As the softball team heads into round three of the playoffs, expectations rise as the team hopes to make program history. After placing fourth in the district, the team upset their first two playoff opponents to become Area champions.

Sophomore Hiana Ibarra high fives her coaches as she gets introduced before the game against Nacogdoches this year.

The team will compete in a three-game playoff series against Melissa High School starting tonight at Rusk High School. Players on the team have said that the combination of the coaches’ and players’ confidence is what has made them so successful.

“I think that our coaching staff as a whole, they always trust that we can get the job done,” junior Abbey Papadimitriou said. “So the extra confidence that they put on the team helps everyone produce and perform at their best ability.”

The senior-heavy team faced many challenges throughout their regular season, such as gaining new coaches and new turf on the fields, which weren’t completed until right when the season started.

The underclassmen on the team have made connections with many of the seniors on the team and said it is bittersweet not knowing when the season will end. Two years ago, the team reached the fourth round.

“It means a lot and it’s kind of sad because you never know when you’re not going to play with the seniors again,” freshman Keilee Brown said.  

In the first round of playoffs the team traveled to Lufkin to compete against Whitehouse High School, where they won the first two games in a 5-2 and 7-3 victory. In the following week they played Sherman High School and won the last two games with 11-0 and 5-2 victories.

As the team progresses throughout the bracket, the stakes become higher for the team, especially for the seniors. Many of the seniors on the team said they wanted to play at their best because they don’t want their season to end.

“I think we’re even more excited that we’re in round three because we’re the only team in our district right now to still be standing,” Papidimitriou said. “We’re just taking it round by round.”

Going into the third round, many of the athletes have looked at game film of Melissa and looked at game stats to prepare. Although the team is playing against a challenging school, many of the players agree that focusing on their individual game will help them get another victory.

“I just hope that we can keep our energy up and not get psyched out because the team we’re playing is a good team,” Brown said.