2017 Movie Preview

An official promo image for Annabelle 2.

An official promo image for “Annabelle 2.”

Matthew Ogle, Staff Reporter

Logan (March 3, 2017):  In the final edition of the “Wolverine” movies, actor Hugh Jackman, (who is retiring from the role after the film), reprises the famed role of Logan (AKA Wolverine). The movie is set in the year is 2024, when the birth rate of mutants is in decline and the reasoning behind this occurrence remains uncertain. A government operation known as the Essex program (led by X-Men villain Nathaniel Essex) is turning mutant children into killing machines. An aging Wolverine and dying Professor X (Patrick Stewart) emerge to rescue and mentor a mutant girl who is made from Wolverine’s DNA and has two claws instead of Logan’s three.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (May 26, 2017):  Another sequel of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series  will be  released shortly before school is out for summer. In the new film, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) runs into misfortune as chilling ghost pirates led by his enemy Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem) escape from the Devil’s Triangle on a quest to kill every pirate at sea including Sparrow. Captain Jack’s only chance for survival is to discover Poseidon’s Trident, a powerful artifact that will give the beholder power over the seas. Jack will seek the help of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) as he is the Captain of the Flying Dutchman. This film looks to be an action-packed adventure for the whole family to enjoy.

Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (March 17, 2017): In the  live-action version of the Disney animated classic,  a young woman (Emma Watson) stumbles upon a lost castle in the forest and bargains with a beast to take her father’s place as his prisoner. The Beast, who turns out to be a prince, begins to fall in love. However, as the previous live-action Disney films such as

“Maleficent” (2014) have shown, there will more than likely be a twist from the  Disney version of the story.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7, 2017): This upcoming Marvel movie involves the first solo movie debut of the new Spider-Man actor (Tom Holland) who was first introduced in 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War.” Holland’s performance in Civil War brought a lot of popularity to the franchise and the character as the fans demanded a solo film. The overall story of the film is still uncertain as there has yet to be a trailer released but the general premise of the movie involves a young Peter Parker (Tom Holland) navigating his way through high school while fighting crime as Spider-Man.  

Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 (May 5, 2017): Another future Marvel film appears on the list of movies to watch for as the first teaser trailer has been released and the Guardians are set to return just before the summer season begins. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), along with the rest of the star-studded cast return as the film takes place two months after the first film. The Guardians travel throughout the galaxy and while struggling to keep their own unity together they are also attempting to learn about Peter’s past and his true parentage. Marvel is wary about giving  out many details about the film to avoid spoiling it for the fans, but another trailer is said to be coming in the future.

Annabelle 2 (May 19, 2017): For those interested in the horror genre, the sequel to the popular “Annabelle” horror film is to be released in May of 2017. The disturbing doll returns as a nun and group of orphans become the target of a doll-maker’s possessed creation. The first trailer was recently released as this film will be alluring for horror-film fanatics.

Justice League (November 17, 2017): Among all of the Marvel movies that are set to be released in 2017, the only DC Comic film is “Justice League.” which is to hit theaters at the end of next November. This film features Ben Affleck (Batman) and Henry Cavill (Superman), who  return to protect the Earth from the threat of Justice League villain Steppenwolf,along with an army of alien warriors associated with another villain named Darkseid. For the DC Comic fans, this is the  equivalent of  Marvel’s Avengers films.

Kong: Skull Island (March 10, 2017): In the sequel to “King Kong” (2005), explorers played by Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larson encounter the island from which the monstrous ape originated and discover another with even more extreme proportions, along with the many other types of species that lurk upon Skull Island. This film appears to be an action-packed spectacle..