‘Gilmore Girls’ provide perfect escape

Gilmore Girls provide perfect escape

Rhian Davis, Staff Writer

The first time I ever watched Gilmore Girls was in 2017. My mom came up to me one day and told me that she had a show that she wanted us to watch together. She said she had watched it when she was younger and she had always wanted to share it with me. I’m so glad my mom decided to introduce me to Gilmore Girls because it is now my favorite show of all time. 

Gilmore Girls is a show that revolves around the lives of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore in the small town of Stars Hollow. The show has seven seasons and it follows Lorelai as she tries to do what’s best for her daughter and Rory as she goes through high school and college. The show explores the ups and downs of life as a teenage girl and as a mother. 

My mom and I started watching the show in the fall. I remember the day we started watching really vividly. It was really cold and rainy outside so we both agreed that we would just binge watch all day. My mom hit play on the remote and the pilot episode started with Lorelai walking into Luke’s diner as “There She Goes” by The La’s plays in the background. The memory of watching this scene for the first time is seared into my mind. I get chills every time I rewatch the pilot episode because I have such good memories attached to it. 

Gilmore Girls is such a comfort show for me and so many others. I personally think it is the best show to watch in the fall and winter because of how homey it feels. Whenever October rolls around, you can always expect to find me somewhere in my house curled up watching the show. Stars Hollow is so charming and it’s very easy to get attached to the characters and their stories. 

It was so fun to watch Gilmore Girls with my mom because the story follows a mother and daughter through their lives. I think my mom really enjoyed being able to share it with me because she knew there was a lot in the show that I would soon be able to relate to. My mom is my best friend and over the past few years, we have become very close. Watching a simple Netflix show together was a very bonding experience for us and it is one of the main reasons why I am so attached to Gilmore Girls

Shows are a small escape from reality but they can provide so much comfort. I would have never guessed that the story of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore could bring me so much happiness. Gilmore Girls can be found on Netflix and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a show to watch this winter.