Nieto’s musical talents reach far

Cara Helton

Freshman Abigail Nieto plays the piano in the band room. She started playing when she was only 6 years old.

Yusra Hasan, Staff Writer

Freshman Abigail Nieto stays busy by expanding her musical talents through various instruments. With a drive to try new things she finds herself skilled at five different instruments, never leaving time for a dull moment. Nieto plays piano, guitar, ukulele, flute and trumpet. 

Influenced by a family of adept musicians, Nieto remembers having a passion for music from an early age. She started playing her first instrument, the piano, at 6 years old. Some of her favorite genres, such as ballroom music, are mainly played on the piano. 

Nieto said her favorite piece to have ever played would be “On the Shoulder of Giants” by Joshua Kyan Aalampour. 

“It feels very emotional,” she said. “The author gives it a sense of rushed and calmly direct.”

While the piano might be Nieto’s favorite, she devotes most of her time to playing the trumpet for the school band. Nieto first tried out the trumpet at a visit to a music teacher where she was given the opportunity to try different mouthpieces and instruments. She said she was immediately drawn to the broad sound which finalized her decision to play. 

Nieto said her passion for playing music and being in band has taught her to live in the moment and take time to understand things instead of diving headfirst into everything. She expresses her excitement for how the future will look for her musically. 

“I’m really excited to play band at the Park,” Nieto said.