New theater director brings welcome change

Cara Helton
New theater director Brandi Perkins applauds after her students rehearse a scene of “Lovesick,” the most recent play that will debut Thursday.

For students in the theater program, a new year means adjusting to a new theater teacher. The theater department is being led by a new director for the third time in three years.  

“It’s hard to adjust to new directors,” senior Mark Johanson said, ”because every director is different and every director has a different teaching style.”

New theater director Brandi Perkins moved from her hometown of Wichita Falls to teach at Kingwood Park.

“Kingwood Park is a smaller school,” said Perkins, who previously taught at Hershey High School, “so we are able to do more one-on-one time, and the admin is great.”

Students are already noticing changes in the program.

“There’s already so much more organization and a new way of running the program,” senior Taylor Mattingly said.  “We are allowed a lot more freedom in our acting choices. We get to express what we feel like our scene is, and she really embraces them and puts them in scenes.”

This year the Black Cat theater will put on five different shows, including the musical “The Little Mermaid.” Perkins will work with the entire fine arts department for the musical.

“I’m so excited,” Perkins said. “(It’s) my first musical in eight years.”

“Love/Sick,” the first show of the year, will open this Thursday. “Love/Sick” is a comedy that follows the ups and downs of relationships. Tickets are still on sale for Thursday, Friday and Saturday shows. Perkins is looking forward to her first show at KPARK.  

“I feel this year is a new start,” said Perkins “I think students really need to refresh. I think this is a year of new beginnings and creating some new relationships and traditions.”