Phone bans in class benefit all

During+work+time+and+free+time+in+class%2C+students+are+often+on+their+phones.+
Abigail Nieto
During work time and free time in class, students are often on their phones.

The algebra 1 teachers have banned phones in classrooms, and it’s set to benefit the students in a large way. While a complete ban in the school would not be beneficial, more teachers enforcing a break from them in class is a great way to increase productivity and classroom culture.

Throughout the country, phone restrictions in schools have picked up in popularity. Schools across the country are banning phones, with 76% of schools completely going cell phone-less in 2020.

The implementation of phone-free classrooms helps students focus and get their work done. People get notifications all day long, and it’s become a habit to reach out and check devices. With phones securely away, people can focus in class, and use the time after notes to work on homework.

Without phones, people are more likely to reach out and talk to the people around them. From class discussions about homework to making small talk to pass the time, when people don’t have their phones, they build more relationships. Classes without phones often have stronger culture and bonds as a class. Removing phones from classrooms also encourages students to collaborate rather than searching for the answers online.

Many students are uncomfortable with not being able to check their phones. FOMO, the fear of missing out, is more than simple teen slang. Phones allow students to be connected with their friends all day. Anxiety rises as they ponder hypothetical plans or activities that could have occurred while missing their devices. There is no real way to miss out, because texts, social media posts, and any other communication on phones don’t have a time limit before they disappear. All of the notifications will be there after class. For family emergencies, administration or front office people will contact students individually if they are notified of a personal emergency, and if they are being picked up, the passes will be delivered without phones.

While phones are needed in students’ lives, it is beneficial to have a purposeful break from them during class. There are undeniable benefits from not being allowed to use phones in class. When handled well, the classes with no phone policies create a happier and more productive environment.